Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Phil 54 posts 139 karma points
    Mar 26, 2015 @ 15:24
    Phil

User type permissions - user can still edit existing content with update permission disabled

Hi all,

I am having a few problems with user type permissions.

I have two user types:

• Administrator - Full permissions

• Writer - Only has Browse Node, Create and Publish permissions

If a user is an administrator, I want them to be able to go into existing content items, update them and publish the changes.

However, is a user is a Writer, I only want them to be able to create new content, and then publish it. With the current settings, a Writer is able to open an existing content item, make changes and publish them. Should the missing Update permission not stop this from happening?

Many thanks.

• Jan Skovgaard 11280 posts 23678 karma points MVP 10x admin c-trib
    Mar 26, 2015 @ 15:47
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Phil

Can you share a screendump of your settings for the writer? I think it's easier to figure out what might be wrong by having a look and avoid misunderstandings that way.

/Jan

Mar 26, 2015 @ 16:28
    Phil

Jan,

Screenshot below:

Writer Permissions

Cheers, Phil

Mar 26, 2015 @ 16:40
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Phil

Thanks for the screendump - I can't remember exactly what update does that publish does not allow...but I'm thinking that you should perhaps try enabling "update" and then "disabling" publish in order to achieve what you need if I understand correctly.

/Jan

Mar 26, 2015 @ 16:46
    Phil

Jan,

Thanks for your reply - with Update enabled and Publish disabled, the writer is still able to edit existing content and Save it (not publish), and create new content and save it (but not publish)

I was hoping that I would be able to stop a Writer from making any changes to existing published content, but they would still be allowed to create and publish new content.

Do you know if that is possible?

Cheers, Phil

Mar 26, 2015 @ 16:52
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Phil

Aaah ok...But I don't think that it's possible to achieve since publish will allow for all content to be published unfortunately.

/Jan

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft