Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Stephanie Nicolaou 33 posts 91 karma points
    Feb 25, 2015 @ 18:09
    Stephanie Nicolaou

Failed to retrieve indexer details

Hi,

I am experiencing a problem when the Developer section is clicked, I receive the error:

"Failed to retrieve indexer details "

Please can anyone suggest how to solve this?

Regards,

Steph

• Jan Skovgaard 11280 posts 23678 karma points MVP 10x admin c-trib
    Feb 25, 2015 @ 18:20
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Steph

Is this happening locally or is it when deployed to another environment? Has it just started to happen or has it been acting like this all the time? Is it a fresh installation? What exact version of Umbraco 7 are you using?

Have you done any customization using the Examine index or something like that?

Looking forward to hearing from you.

/Jan

Feb 25, 2015 @ 19:59
    Stephanie Nicolaou

Hi Jan,

It only started happening after it was deployed to our online dev environment, there are no problems locally. I am using Umbraco 7.2.2.

I haven't done any customisation, I also tried a fresh install and the same error comes up when the developer button is clicked.

It's only when it's uploaded to our hosted site this error happens.

Steph

• Jan Skovgaard 11280 posts 23678 karma points MVP 10x admin c-trib
    Feb 25, 2015 @ 20:05
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Steph

Ok - Is it shared hosting or is it a dedicated server?

Have you investigated the /App_Data/Logs file to see if it contains further information about the issue? And do you see any error in your browser console log?

When you make your deploy, which folders do you deploy? Do you deploy the /App_Data/TEMP folder for instance? If so try deleting the content in this folder and make sure it's not deployed next time since it's TEMP files related to the instance rather than the project.

Also it might be a good idea to double check the permissions have been setup properly. Judging from the error it could be a permission issue where something can't be read.

Also try rebuilding the examine index by going to the "Developer" section and click on the "Examine" rebuild the indexes.

And finally it might be a good idea to try and clear the Umbraco backoffice cache by going to the /config/ClientDependency.config file and increment the version number in order to bust the backoffice cache.

Hope that some of these pointers help!

/Jan

Feb 27, 2015 @ 17:42
    Stephanie Nicolaou

Hi Jan,

Thanks for your response. I reinstalled Umbraco on an Azure website and then updated the nuget package manager, client dependency, deleted all the temp data and caches - this removed the problem.

As I reinstalled, I still don't know what the root problem was but I do appreciate your ideas which I will keep in mind for next time.It wasn't the best method of solving the problem but it was quicker just to restart on Azure as our current host provider had web deploy and db access restrictions.

Thanks again,

Steph

• Chris Wilson 100 posts 377 karma points
    Apr 02, 2015 @ 13:41
    Chris Wilson

I just experienced the same issue; attempting to clear the TEMP folder revealed that a crashed background IIS Express process had a lock over some of the index files and this was causing the error.

Thanks Jan!

• Kenny Burns 173 posts 305 karma points
    May 01, 2015 @ 18:03
    Kenny Burns

Hello,

I am also experiencing this error on 7.2.4 - I can't tell if its just become an issue since we upgraded from 7.2.2 or not. 

ExceptionMessage":"Lock obtain timed out: NativeFSLock

@C:\\Windows\\Microsoft.NET\\Framework64\\v4.0.30319\\Temporary ASP.NET Files\\root\\ccdd6ebd\\49a87a96\\App_Data\\TEMP\\ExamineIndexes\\InternalMember\\write.lock"

I have removed this file, removed the entire TEMP folder in Umbraco, reset client dependancy cache number, recycled app pool, restarted iis - no joy.

Any ideas if this is actually the issue, or could this be hiding something else which is errorring? Any ideas much appreciated!

Thanks,

Kenny

• Kenny Burns 173 posts 305 karma points
    May 04, 2015 @ 13:35
    Kenny Burns

UPDATE: I can confirm this is related to upgrading from 7.2.2 to 7.2.4 - in a 7.2.2 version it was fine, but I upgraded this morning and it is now doing the same as above.

Thanks,

Kenny

• Greg Fyans 140 posts 342 karma points
    May 04, 2015 @ 13:39
    Greg Fyans

Here is the full exception from /umbraco/BackOffice/Api/ExamineManagementApi/GetIndexerDetails. This only started happening after we upgraded to 7.2.4 from 7.2.2:

This XML file does not appear to have any style information associated with it. The document tree is shown below.
    <Error>
    <Message>An error has occurred.</Message>
    <ExceptionMessage>
    The 'ObjectContent`1' type failed to serialize the response body for content type 'application/xml; charset=utf-8'.
    </ExceptionMessage>
    <ExceptionType>System.InvalidOperationException</ExceptionType>
    <StackTrace/>
    <InnerException>
    <ExceptionMessage>Error while copying content to a stream.</ExceptionMessage>
    <ExceptionType>System.Net.Http.HttpRequestException</ExceptionType>
    <StackTrace/>
    <InnerException>
    <ExceptionMessage>
    Lock obtain timed out: NativeFSLock@C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework64\v4.0.30319\Temporary ASP.NET Files\root\742dd430\35a2325c\App_Data\TEMP\ExamineIndexes\InternalMember\write.lock
    </ExceptionMessage>
    <ExceptionType>Lucene.Net.Store.LockObtainFailedException</ExceptionType>
    <StackTrace>
    at Lucene.Net.Store.Lock.Obtain(Int64 lockWaitTimeout) at Lucene.Net.Index.IndexWriter.Init(Directory d, Analyzer a, Boolean create, Boolean closeDir, IndexDeletionPolicy deletionPolicy, Boolean autoCommit, Int32 maxFieldLength, IndexingChain indexingChain, IndexCommit commit) at Lucene.Net.Index.IndexWriter.Init(Directory d, Analyzer a, Boolean closeDir, IndexDeletionPolicy deletionPolicy, Boolean autoCommit, Int32 maxFieldLength, IndexingChain indexingChain, IndexCommit commit) at Lucene.Net.Index.IndexWriter..ctor(Directory d, Analyzer a, IndexDeletionPolicy deletionPolicy, MaxFieldLength mfl) at UmbracoExamine.TempStorage.UmbracoTempStorageMemberIndexer.GetIndexWriter() in x:\Projects\UmbracoExamine.TempStorage\UmbracoExamine.TempStorage\UmbracoExamine.TempStorage\UmbracoTempStorageMemberIndexer.cs:line 38 at Umbraco.Web.Search.ExamineExtensions.GetIndexDocumentCount(LuceneIndexer indexer) at Umbraco.Web.WebServices.ExamineManagementApiController.CreateModel(BaseIndexProvider indexer) at System.Linq.Enumerable.WhereSelectEnumerableIterator`2.MoveNext() at WriteArrayOfindexerToXml(XmlWriterDelegator , Object , XmlObjectSerializerWriteContext , CollectionDataContract ) at System.Runtime.Serialization.CollectionDataContract.WriteXmlValue(XmlWriterDelegator xmlWriter, Object obj, XmlObjectSerializerWriteContext context) at System.Runtime.Serialization.XmlObjectSerializerWriteContext.SerializeAndVerifyType(DataContract dataContract, XmlWriterDelegator xmlWriter, Object obj, Boolean verifyKnownType, RuntimeTypeHandle declaredTypeHandle, Type declaredType) at System.Runtime.Serialization.XmlObjectSerializerWriteContext.SerializeWithXsiTypeAtTopLevel(DataContract dataContract, XmlWriterDelegator xmlWriter, Object obj, RuntimeTypeHandle originalDeclaredTypeHandle, Type graphType) at System.Runtime.Serialization.DataContractSerializer.InternalWriteObjectContent(XmlWriterDelegator writer, Object graph, DataContractResolver dataContractResolver) at System.Runtime.Serialization.DataContractSerializer.InternalWriteObject(XmlWriterDelegator writer, Object graph, DataContractResolver dataContractResolver) at System.Runtime.Serialization.XmlObjectSerializer.WriteObjectHandleExceptions(XmlWriterDelegator writer, Object graph, DataContractResolver dataContractResolver) at System.Net.Http.Formatting.XmlMediaTypeFormatter.<>c__DisplayClass7.<WriteToStreamAsync>b__6() at System.Threading.Tasks.TaskHelpers.RunSynchronously(Action action, CancellationToken token)
    </StackTrace>
    </InnerException>
    </InnerException>

</Error>

• Thomas Lee 38 posts 79 karma points
    Jun 08, 2015 @ 06:24
    Thomas Lee

Is there no solution to this problem? I am facing the same thing..

• Janet Kirklen 102 posts 212 karma points
    Jan 15, 2016 @ 23:13
    Janet Kirklen

In my case this turned out to be a disk space issue. Once we allocated more space this error went away. Hope that helps somebody.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft