Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Hayley 23 posts 71 karma points
    Feb 24, 2015 @ 08:11
    Hayley

Umbraco site gets server error once or twice a day

Hi,

My hosted Umbraco site receives the error below once or twice a day. The entire site shows the error, then approx 1 HR after it goes down it comes back up like normal. I'm assuming the app pool recycles, it's hosted on Plesk so I don't know exactly. At that point everything works as expected. I would rather continue to use Sqlce as this is a small site. This is running 7.2.1. I'm confused as to what to do as its so intermittent, and only happens on the hosted server.

Server Error in '/' Application.

Error running Reader: 
    SQL Statement:
    SELECT id, domainName FROM umbracoDomains ORDER BY id

Exception:
    System.Data.SqlServerCe.SqlCeException (0x80004005): Not enough storage is available to complete this operation.
      at System.Data.SqlServerCe.SqlCeConnection.Open(Boolean silent)
      at System.Data.SqlServerCe.SqlCeConnection.Open()
      at SQLCE4Umbraco.SqlCeContextGuardian.Open(String connectionString)
      at SqlCE4Umbraco.SqlCeApplicationBlock.ExecuteReader(String connectionString, CommandType commandType, String commandText, SqlCeParameter[] commandParameters)

Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the error and where it originated in the code. 

Exception Details: SqlCE4Umbraco.SqlCeProviderException: Error running Reader: 
    SQL Statement:

Exception:
    System.Data.SqlServerCe.SqlCeException (0x80004005): Not enough storage is available to complete this operation.
      at SqlCE4Umbraco.SqlCeApplicationBlock.ExecuteReader(String connectionString, CommandType commandType, String commandText, SqlCeParameter[] commandParameters)

Source Error: 

An unhandled exception was generated during the execution of the current web request. Information regarding the origin and location of the exception can be identified using the exception stack trace below.

Stack Trace: 

[SqlCeProviderException: Error running Reader: 
    SQL Statement:

Exception:
       at SqlCE4Umbraco.SqlCeApplicationBlock.ExecuteReader(String connectionString, CommandType commandType, String commandText, SqlCeParameter[] commandParameters)]
       SqlCE4Umbraco.SqlCeApplicationBlock.ExecuteReader(String connectionString, CommandType commandType, String commandText, SqlCeParameter[] commandParameters) +182
       SqlCE4Umbraco.SqlCEHelper.ExecuteReader(String commandText, SqlCeParameter[] parameters) +37
       umbraco.DataLayer.SqlHelper`1.ExecuteReader(String commandText, IParameter[] parameters) +81

[SqlHelperException: Umbraco Exception (DataLayer): SQL helper exception in ExecuteReader]
       umbraco.DataLayer.SqlHelper`1.ExecuteReader(String commandText, IParameter[] parameters) +201
       umbraco.cms.businesslogic.web.Domain.<GetDomains>b__0() +76
       Umbraco.Core.Cache.<>c__DisplayClass1`1.<GetCacheItem>b__0() +10
       System.Lazy`1.CreateValue() +416
       System.Lazy`1.LazyInitValue() +152
       System.Lazy`1.get_Value() +75
       Umbraco.Core.Cache.HttpRuntimeCacheProvider.GetCacheItem(String cacheKey, Func`1 getCacheItem, Nullable`1 timeout, Boolean isSliding, CacheItemPriority priority, CacheItemRemovedCallback removedCallback, CacheDependency dependency) +937
       Umbraco.Core.Cache.HttpRuntimeCacheProvider.GetCacheItem(String cacheKey, Func`1 getCacheItem, Nullable`1 timeout, Boolean isSliding, CacheItemPriority priority, CacheItemRemovedCallback removedCallback, String[] dependentFiles) +107
       Umbraco.Core.Cache.CacheProviderExtensions.GetCacheItem(IRuntimeCacheProvider provider, String cacheKey, Func`1 getCacheItem, Nullable`1 timeout, Boolean isSliding, CacheItemPriority priority, CacheItemRemovedCallback removedCallback, String[] dependentFiles) +155
       Umbraco.Core.CacheHelper.GetCacheItem(String cacheKey, TimeSpan timeout, Func`1 getCacheItem) +277
       umbraco.cms.businesslogic.web.Domain.GetDomains(Boolean includeWildcards) +151
       Umbraco.Web.Routing.PublishedContentRequestEngine.FindDomain() +231
       Umbraco.Web.Routing.PublishedContentRequestEngine.PrepareRequest() +15
       Umbraco.Web.UmbracoModule.ProcessRequest(HttpContextBase httpContext) +376
       Umbraco.Web.UmbracoModule.<Init>b__a(Object sender, EventArgs e) +80
       System.Web.SyncEventExecutionStep.System.Web.HttpApplication.IExecutionStep.Execute() +136
       System.Web.HttpApplication.ExecuteStep(IExecutionStep step, Boolean& completedSynchronously) +69

Version Information: Microsoft .NET Framework Version:4.0.30319; ASP.NET Version:4.0.30319.34212

• Jan Skovgaard 11280 posts 23678 karma points MVP 10x admin c-trib
    Feb 24, 2015 @ 08:23
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Hayley

Judging from the error message I think it would be a good idea to see how much database space you have left perhaps? I suspect you perhaps need to buy more DB space or need to cleanup maybe using the FALM package

Hope this helps.

/Jan

Feb 24, 2015 @ 20:39
    Hayley

Hi Jan,

Thank you for the suggestion.

I'm using SQLCe which is a file based system, so I'm not paying for DB space with my provider. The site only has 4 pages, and the DB size on disk is 8.1mb. The max size for a SQLCe DB is 128mb, which I'm nowhere near. I have 1GB of space on disk available, and I'm only using 154.9 for all the files for the umbraco site, including media.

I've found a few links online that seem to link back to the fact the application is calling something a huge number of times, and the resulting objects aren't being collected: https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/sqlserver/en-US/1dce21a8-cddd-4fce-9370-f3c9475bb34a/net-sql-ce-core-not-enough-storage-is-available-to-complete-this-operation?forum=sqlce

Like I said, with such a small site and number of files, I really don't want to have to move to a full SQL installation, when SQLCe should do what I need.

Thanks

Hayley

• Jan Skovgaard 11280 posts 23678 karma points MVP 10x admin c-trib
    Feb 24, 2015 @ 21:48
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Hayley

Yup I know CE SQL :) - Well yeah, when you're not using more space on the disk than that there should be enough. I don't know how big your site is but I don't like using CE SQL in production myself even though it's a small site. Unfortunately there is also a risk of losing data all of the sudden, which is a known issue and which maybe makes it worthwhile considering using MSSQL even though it's a small site.

Judging from the link you posted above it seems this is another weird issue related to CE SQL outside the context of Umbraco. However it might be a good idea to try and file a bug issue on the issue tracker at http://issues.umbraco.org/issues - But I'm not sure there is much the HQ guys can do about it though.

Also it might be a good idea to get in touch with support - I'm assuming you're on shared hosting - And see if they know about the issue and know about a fix or workaround.

Does your site contain any custom integration stuff, using the Umbraco API or some 3rd party stuff btw?

/Jan

• Alex Skrypnyk 6133 posts 23952 karma points MVP 7x admin c-trib
    Oct 06, 2015 @ 21:50
    Alex Skrypnyk

Hi Hayley and Jan,

We have the same error on the production server of the some small site. We haven't any custom integration stuff, really strange problem.

I don't like using CE SQL, but we can't change it for now.

Thanks, Alex

Oct 18, 2015 @ 22:23
    Hayley

Hi Alex,

I still don't have a solution to this problem. Luckily the site is one that doesn't receive a lot of traffic and it only seems to error once a day, once the app pool recycles it comes right for another 12-24 hours.

• Alex Skrypnyk 6133 posts 23952 karma points MVP 7x admin c-trib
    Oct 19, 2015 @ 06:28
    Alex Skrypnyk

Hi Hayley,

As I know you can try to upgrade Umbraco or move your database to MSSQLExpress, it can solve such problems.

Thanks, Alex

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft