Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Craig100 1136 posts 2523 karma points c-trib
    Dec 13, 2014 @ 16:20
    Craig100

V7.2 InvalidCompositionException

Hi,

I created a BasePage DocType. Then created a GalleryPage DocType based on BasePage.

I added a pageTitle property to the GalleryPage DocType, then later, unwittingly added a pageTitle to the BasePage DocType.

In Settings, when I click on BasePage, I get the following YSOD:-

"InvalidCompositionException - ContentType with alias 'BasePage' was added as a Compsition to ContentType with alias 'GalleryPage', but there was a conflict on the PropertyType alias 'pageTitle'. PropertyTypes must have a unique alias across all Compositions in order to compose a valid ContentType Composition."

I think I'm screwed. Is there a way out of this so I don't have to trash the whole site and start again?

Cheers,

Craig

• Craig100 1136 posts 2523 karma points c-trib
    Dec 13, 2014 @ 16:38
    Craig100

Looks like it's been seen before and is to be fixed in 7.2.1: http://issues.umbraco.org/issue/U4-5986

However, if there any way of getting out of it so I don't have to trash 12 hours work, I'd appreciate it ;)

Cheers,

Craig

• tsilik 2 posts 46 karma points
    Dec 29, 2014 @ 04:15
    tsilik

I faced the same issue after upgrading to 7.2.1 because the previous stucture of the ContentTypes I had would currently not be allowed.

I just deleted the faulty entries from the cmsContentType2ContentType, that keeps these type relations, and after recycling the application pool everything worked like a charm.

• emma burstow 43 posts 251 karma points MVP 3x hq c-trib
    Jul 08, 2016 @ 13:04
    emma burstow

Oh wow! You just saved my butt. Found the three entries that referrred to the problematic doc type, deleted them and restarted the app pool.

Thanks!!!

• John Seto 37 posts 98 karma points
    Sep 04, 2016 @ 10:52
    John Seto

Thank you - this saved me having to rebuild my umbraco project #H5yr

• Stephen Davidson 216 posts 392 karma points
    Mar 31, 2015 @ 16:01
    Stephen Davidson

I have this issue after upgarding to 7.2.2. My backoffice is pretty much gubbed, If i delete the faulty entries does that mean i will need to recreate the content types and all the pages associated will be gubbed and have to be redone?

S

• Julio M. Vivas 57 posts 107 karma points
    Mar 18, 2016 @ 13:35
    Julio M. Vivas

I know this is a bit of an old topic but for anyone still upgrading from 7.1.6 or so where a previous developer or user added a property on a child type with the same alias as one on the parent type:

1. Check for these before doing the upgrade and rename the child type property

2. If it's too late,

• delete the offending types from cmsContentType2ContentType table (but keep a note of the IDs before deleting)
      • Rename the child type property
      • Re-add the reference to cmsContentType2ContentType table

Don't know if there are more hidden pitfalls but this kept the YSOD at bay

• J 445 posts 862 karma points
    Feb 20, 2018 @ 17:04
    J

How would you identify which rows to delete from cmsContentType2ContentType

• Julio M. Vivas 57 posts 107 karma points
    Feb 20, 2018 @ 18:14
    Julio M. Vivas

I would suggest running something like this before the update

-- check for duplicate prop alias on parent and child

select CT.nodeId as DocTypeID, CC.parentContentTypeId as ParentID, CT.alias as DocTypeAlias, pt.Alias as PropAlias, PT.id as PropID, PT.Name as propName from [dbo].[cmsPropertyType] PT left join [dbo].[cmsContentType] CT on CT.nodeId = PT.contentTypeId left join [dbo].[cmsContentType2ContentType] CC on CC.childContentTypeId = CT.nodeId order by pt.Alias

Then look at the duplicate PropAlias and check if any of the DocTypes is the parent of another DocType with the same property alias

If you get the issue after the update you can still run this query which should flag the same doc types referred to on the YSOD

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft