Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Stan 6 posts 27 karma points
    Dec 12, 2014 @ 01:00
    Stan

Umbraco 7 Grid and Recursive Data

I've loaded 7.2 and am playing around with the Umbraco grid. In prior versions I could set recursive:true on a field and bring forward data from a parent record, such as for a repeating table of contents.  However, I cannot figure out how to do that in the grid.  I see a table of contents in on Umbrao's site (Example: http://umbraco.com/products/training) in the left hand column and if that is a grid, I would like to know how that is done.  I'm assuming that it is only stored once in Umbraco and reused when needed.  Thanks for your help.

• Jan Skovgaard 11280 posts 23678 karma points MVP 10x admin c-trib
    Dec 12, 2014 @ 06:03
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Stan

Currently it's not possible as far as I know but Phil has made a feature request for this on the issue tracker, which you can go and vote up http://issues.umbraco.org/issue/U4-5987

/Jan

• Stan 6 posts 27 karma points
    Dec 12, 2014 @ 23:53
    Stan

Thanks.  I voted "up" on the proposed feature.

I list several departments on our web page, and each has its own table of contents, which then cascades down to the department's child pages.  It doesn't seems like the current grid system would accomodate that very well.  Just wanting to make sure I'm not missing anything.  The old system handled that great, but I'd prefer to go with whatever is the future of the system.

• Jan Skovgaard 11280 posts 23678 karma points MVP 10x admin c-trib
    Dec 13, 2014 @ 07:35
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Stan

Yes that does make sense. But it's important to keep in mind that the grid editor is not meant to be used as a hammer, that can fix anything :)

So I don't think the above scenario is something that the editor will ever be able to cope with.

Anyway I think if you would like to know more about the grid editor then I think it's a good idea to read the Grid layout best practices and the Grid layout documentation as well.

/Jan

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft