Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Jay 49 posts 211 karma points
    Dec 11, 2014 @ 12:13
    Jay

Error On Publishing Pages

Dear Support,

I am currently trying to get Umbraco 7.2.0 to work on my Windows 8 machine. Since my client requires Umbraco to work with MySQL, I have no option but to install Umbraco manually, rather than using Web PI (which does not offer MySQL as an option).

I have downloaded Umbraco 7.2.0 and extracted the files. I have put these in C:\www\Umbraco720. I've set up the site according to the installation instructions. I've added full rights to the physical folder for both IUSR as well as my ApplicationPool Identity user (according to these instructions).

My MySQL user has full rights to the Umbraco database. I install Umbraco and it correctly verifies the database info. It asks me to install a starter site. I click a random starter site.

My first installation was showing me a starter site. For some reason, my next installations aren't even showing me a starter site. On publishing, I get the following error in my trace log:

System.Reflection.TargetInvocationException: Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation. ---> System.Configuration.ConfigurationErrorsException: Authentication to host '' for user '' using method 'mysql_native_password' failed with message: Access denied for user ''@'my.domain.com' (using password: NO) (C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework64\v4.0.30319\Config\machine.config line 285) ---> MySql.Data.MySqlClient.MySqlException: Authentication to host '' for user '' using method 'mysql_native_password' failed with message: Access denied for user ''@'my.domain.com' (using password: NO) ---> MySql.Data.MySqlClient.MySqlException: Access denied for user ''@'my.domain.com' (using password: NO)
       at MySql.Data.MySqlClient.MySqlStream.ReadPacket()
       at MySql.Data.MySqlClient.Authentication.MySqlAuthenticationPlugin.ReadPacket()

Apparently, Umbraco is attempting to use an empty user and not using a password.

Why would it do this? It correctly verified and created a database. I've checked the connection string in the web.config file. It is the same correct information I entered on installation.

I have tried enabling more IIS features, playing around with physical directory rights and mysql user rights. I've installed Umbraco multiple times now and I just can't get it working properly.

Can you help me in getting it working please?

Sincerely,

Jay

Dec 11, 2014 @ 13:30
    Jay

I've tried installing Umbraco 7.2.0 without customizations (so using MySQL CE, I believe) to see if this was a database related issue.

It didn't help.

The log now reads:

2014-12-11 13:25:12,964 [49] INFO  Umbraco.Core.Publishing.PublishingStrategy - [Thread 44] Content 'Home' with Id '1073' has been published.

But the popup I get says:

Server error: Contact administrator, see log for full details.
    Access denied for user ''@'my.domain.com' (using password: NO)

I've tried installing Umbraco 7.0.0, 7.1.0 and 7.1.9. No version will work for me.

I've just put the 'Everyone' user on the physical folder and granted him full rights. It is still not working.

Any suggestions?

• Jan Skovgaard 11280 posts 23678 karma points MVP 10x admin c-trib
    Dec 11, 2014 @ 15:22
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Jay

When you do not customize the installation the embedded SQL CE database is being used. It's developed by Microsoft and has nothing to do with MySQL - Just to make it clear :)

So...did you make a manual installation or did you use webmatrix or the web platform installer? If it was done manually as well the second time I suggest trying to use webmatrix since it will install the needed dependencies in order for Umbraco to work so afterwards you should succeed in getting it working.

Looking forward to hearing from you.

/Jan

Dec 11, 2014 @ 15:50
    Jay

Hey Jan,

I know the diff between SQL CE and MySQL, no worries there.

I am trying to install manually. I have tried the Web PI, but canceled it when I saw it did not offer me MySQL. I assumed the Web Matrix would do the same, so I haven't tried it yet.

I will give it a shot.

[edit] I'll give it a shot just to see if it works.

But my client requires a manual installation, because you never know which restrictions you have to deal with on production servers of yet other clients.

Dec 11, 2014 @ 16:32
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Jay

If I remember correctly webmatrix will not offer you MySQL either (It's really using WebPi under the hood) but you will be able to choose it when launching the Umbraco site with Webmatrix since the real Umbraco setup begins then...yeah that's probably a bit confusing. But the point is, try installing it this way to make sure all dependencies are in place...afterwards you can try doing the manual install again.

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Cheers, Jan

Dec 12, 2014 @ 10:45
    Jay

I tried installing via the WebPI.

On the installer screen for Umbraco, I clicked 'Customize'. The screen stayed white. The Chrome console gave me an error regarding a database installation script.

I revisited the site root after the crash, in order to try it again. But alas, I get nothing but an error screen.

Manual install is still not working either.

Dec 12, 2014 @ 13:16
    Jay

Tried uninstalling and reinstalling IIS. Also did not work.

Installation was a breeze on my colleague's system.

It's starting to look like this is caused by some oddity with my current W8 installation. I will likely get another work system and try out Umbraco on that instead.

Dec 12, 2014 @ 14:03
    Jay

I solved the error by referring to this topic:

http://our.umbraco.org/forum/umbraco-7/using-umbraco-7/58112-Cant-publish-due-to-MySqlWebv20?p=0

I had previously ruled out the idea that it could be a database issue, because I also got this error when using a MsSQL CE database.

In hindsight, it was odd that I got a MySQL error when using MsSQL CE.

Dec 15, 2014 @ 10:03
    Jay

Looking back on it, it is very strange that I get MySQL related errors, even when I have installed Umbraco to make use of MsSQL CE.

Long story short: do NOT install the MySQL Web Provider, because it will make it impossible to get Umbraco 7.2.0 (and earlier) running.

This is a very strange bug indeed. I hope you guys will fix it in future releases.

Dec 15, 2014 @ 10:30
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Jay

I think you should file this as bug on the issue tracker so the HQ will know about it and will be able to provide a fix for this.

The guys working for the HQ are active on the forums but they can't monitor everything so filing issues like bugs and feature requests on the issue tracker is the best way to go if something should be fixed, improved or changed :) (Make sure to check it's not been reported already first though).

Please post the link to the issue in here once done so others who may come across this will be able to vote it up.

Cheers, Jan

Dec 19, 2014 @ 15:24
    Jay

I currently have no login for the issue tracker. I wasn't planning on becoming a full time Umbraco tester anyway.

Freel free to post it on my behalf.

[Update] Alright, I'll post it.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft