Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Geoff Beaumont 75 posts 104 karma points
    Nov 27, 2014 @ 13:28
    Geoff Beaumont

Account Suspended HTML in UI Javascript

We're having an intermittent issue on one Umbraco site which currently has me stumped; The Umbraco interface returns a blank screen - this is caused by a javascript file which has included in it the HTML source of a very simple web page which reads just "Account Suspended", nothing else to identify where this comes from.

We're seeing this only on the live site, not dev (localhost) or staging. No exceptions in the log file or system log. Restarting the web site in IIS usually brings the CMS back up with the correct javascript, for the broken one to reappear at an apparently random time later (usually days later). Only the Umbraco UI is affected, the front end of the site is fine.

My initial suspicion was that it was a licensing issue with one of the two domain licensed components on this site (Courier & Media Protect), but I've not found any evidence to support this.

I'm currently running the site in debug mode in the hope of seeing the error while scripts aren't being combined so I can pin down the source. I've attempted to switch off compilation in ClientDependency.config, but it seems that some Umbraco scripts are combined regardless, including the affected one.

I can't find any references to similar problems on the web, and the string "Account Suspended" does not appear anywhere in our own code. To be clear - you don't need to be logged in to get error, and once it started it affects all users, so it's not tied to any particular Umbraco user.

Has anyone seen this issue before, or have any idea where this HTML block may be coming from?

Umbraco version: 7.1.8
    Windows 2008 R2

• Jan Skovgaard 11280 posts 23678 karma points MVP 10x admin c-trib
    Nov 27, 2014 @ 13:32
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Geoff

So this screen is something that is being displayed on the website itself or is it only the backend? Just want to be 100% certain where it actually appears - strange issue indeed.

/Jan

Nov 27, 2014 @ 13:37
    Geoff Beaumont

Hi Jan,

It's only on the backend, and it's not actually displayed (although presumably it was intended to be) - it's combined into one of the main script collections by the ClientDependency framework. That almost certainly means it's being returned in place of a script file, but I can't see any way to get ClientDependency to tell me which one (e.g. by inserting comments in the combined script).

Geoff

Nov 27, 2014 @ 13:41
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Geoff

Ok, perhaps you could try getting in touch with Richard Soeteman and ask him if he does some tricks if the license payment is overdue.

Otherwise it must be Courier that is the culprit I think. So you should also see if you can get in touch with one of the HQ guys about the issue I think.

I don't suppose it's an option to uninstall Courier and see if that makes any difference since you're probably using it for deployment?

/Jan

Nov 27, 2014 @ 13:59
    Geoff Beaumont

Hi Jan,

Unfortunately uninstalling the plugins isn't an option - it would make life a lot easier if we were seeing the same behaviour on staging or dev!

Both Media Protect and Courier are perpetual licenses, so there's unlikely to be anything like that going on (in any case, both licenses are only a few months old).

I've just discovered that Contour (well umbraco.licensing - it doesn't specify what the license is for, but I believe that's the only component using it) is logging could not validate license errors which I'd thought were from the staging site, but I deleted the log and they've reappeared. They're stating the license if for the domain the site is running under, though...

I'll see if HQ can shed any light.

Geoff

Nov 27, 2014 @ 14:02
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Geoff

I think that both packages are free to use in local/staging/dev environments, which is probably why you don't see the issues there.

I hope you get to the bottom of this and share what you come up with :)

Cheers, Jan

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft