Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Oscar Svedberg 19 posts 82 karma points
    Jun 10, 2014 @ 20:14
    Oscar Svedberg

Users vs Members and how to use them

Hi!

I'm currently developing a site that has multiple user types and member groups. The members are of course used for locking down certain content on the website frontend, whilst different users are to edit different parts of the site.

My problem appears when a user is editing a page where member access is required. The logged in user cannot see the content without being logged in as a member (even though they have edit rights), and they cannot log in as a member while being logged in as a user. This means they cannot preview their edits before publishing, which kind of breaks the idea of a CMS in my opinion. Is there any workaround for this? I fail to understand why you would separate members and users into two different objects at all.

My only idea right now is to completely remove the whole member-part of umbraco and extend the users-part to store "members" there as well, with limited access rights. This seems like a whole lot of work for a workaround that shouldn't be necessary from the start.

Shed some light on a newcomer?

• Jan Skovgaard 11280 posts 23678 karma points MVP 10x admin c-trib
    Jun 20, 2014 @ 19:23
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Oscar

What version of Umbraco are you using?

I think it makes perfect sense to have Users and Members since they serve different purposes.

In short Users are able to login to the Umbraco backoffice and edit content. And that's the sole purpose of users.

Members are intended for granting access to protected pages on the public facing website.

I don't think it would make any sense at all to merge the two into one.

However regarding your issue I think it sounds like an edge case bug, which should probably be reported at the issue tracker

Just my 2 cents.

/Jan

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft