Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Nitish Raina 9 posts 39 karma points
    Apr 24, 2014 @ 08:21
    Nitish Raina

Tutorial to integrate new ASP.NET MVC 4 with Umbraco 7

Hello all,

My organisation has chosen Umbraco as CMS, I am creating new ASP.NET MVC 4 Site and needed some good tutorials to start and integrate Umbraco with the site. It will be helpful if you guys provide any link source that implements all integration from scratch.

Thanks

• Jan Skovgaard 11280 posts 23678 karma points MVP 10x admin c-trib
    Apr 24, 2014 @ 08:56
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Nitish

Could you tell us a bit more about your project?

From the above it sounds like the current website is already running ASP.NET MVC 4? I take that you want to use Umbraco as the CMS for handling content? Umbraco 7 is based on MVC 4...so I'm a bit confused about what it really is you're asking? Do you have some things you need to convert into an Umbraco context or what is your issue?

In regards to tutorials it's hard to recommend anything since we don't know if you need to know how to interact with the API or how to re-use existing functionality etc.

There more information you can provide the better answers we can give :)

Cheers, Jan

Apr 24, 2014 @ 10:58
    Nitish Raina

Hi Jan,

Thanks for your reply. I can right now say that we have the project html files and we need to implement them in ASP.NET MVC and integrate that with Umbraco.

Apr 24, 2014 @ 15:40
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Nitish

Ok, actually you just need to convert your static HTML files to some .cshtml (views) in Umbraco and assign them to some document types. Document types are used for creating content like pages, elements etc.

It may be a good idea to buy access to umbraco.tv to get hold of the different concepts in Umbraco.

You can find some concept descriptions of Umbraco terminology here http://our.umbraco.org/documentation/Using-Umbraco/Backoffice-Overview/

Hope this helps.

/Jan

Apr 25, 2014 @ 12:29
    Nitish Raina

Hi Jan

Thanks for your reply, I currently need static html pages to be setup through umbraco. I am using Visual Studio 2012 and I did setup the umbraco using Visual Studio nuget package manager. I have some queries like:

1. I want to ask if suppose we don't want to code then do we need Visual Studio IDE or it can be done directly in umbraco.
    2. Also, If we might need to code so does Microsoft or Umbraco provides any tutorial on this.
    Apr 26, 2014 @ 13:07
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Nitish

You can setup your templates in Umbraco and then fetch the information from your document types using Razor, XSLT or umbraco:Item tags. You can see more about that on umbraco.tv.

1: You don't need to code in visual studio, sublime text or any other editor if you're doing a really simple site. It is possible to edit code through Umbraco...however I would not advise to edit code in Umbraco since it lacks features like search/replace, find by line number and a big bunch of other handy shortcuts that you get from using a proper code editor. Besides if you edit your code directly in Umbraco on a live site and forget to overwrite your local files that can create some issues.

But I guess it really depends what you want to achieve. If you just want a static HTML site then setting it up in Umbraco might be overkill - But creating static pages would be more time consuming than just setting up the simple templates and document types in Umbraco to allow rapidly altering and publishing new content.

2: Yes there are many tutorials on how to code using Umbraco. If you google there are a lot of blogposts about it. In the documentation section of Our there is some information about it too - But the hard thing as a newcommer is to distinguish, which tutorials works with the latest Umbraco versions since a lot has happened with Umbraco during the years. Therefore I think that umbraco.tv currently is the best option to get you started properly.

There are also certification courses where you learn to find your way around Umbraco and how to develop within Umbraco - A list of courses can be found here http://umbraco.com/products/training.aspx

I hope this helps.

/Jan

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft