Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Gareth 3 posts 23 karma points
    Mar 29, 2014 @ 00:13
    Gareth

Changing database in Umbraco 7

Hello,

I have got Umbraco 7.0.4 up and running locally in a VS2012 express dev environment and everything is fine, but I've hit a bit of a snag putting it live. I've done an FTP deploy to my web server and that's all good, but I want to use SQL Server 2012 as the database not SQLCE (and also the schema name will have changed).

I can't find any documentation on how to do this. I've put a new connection string in Web.Config but what other files do I need to edit?

I've done some .net work before but my background is really in PHP/Joomla/Wordpress etc. Any help will be greatly appreciated - this is a charity project.

Many thanks,

Gareth

• Jan Skovgaard 11280 posts 23678 karma points MVP 10x admin c-trib
    Mar 29, 2014 @ 09:15
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Gareth and welcome to our :)

If you use a tool like webmatrix then it's easy to migrate your CE SQL database to MSSQL. Of course you need to have setup a database in MSSQL first. Once that is done you can right click the folder containing your Umbraco solution and then launch it using webmatrix.

In the lower left corner in the webmatrix ui you can select database - Then browse to the database and a "migrate button" will appear in the upper menu options. By pressing that button a migrate dialogue appears asking for connection details to your MSSQL.

I hope this helps :)

/Jan

Mar 31, 2014 @ 21:00
    Gareth

Thank you Jan. I'll try this now.

G

Mar 31, 2014 @ 21:01
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Gareth

Hope you succeeed. Please let us know how it goes.

Cheers, Jan

Mar 31, 2014 @ 21:44
    Gareth

Worked perfectly. Annoyingly turned out I had *already* migrated my db contents using this method (I just didn't think it had worked at the time).

For the record, (and since I couldn't find anywhere else this was stated) it looks like the only change required to point my umbraco install to it's new schema was to add a new connection string in <connectionStrings> and rename it 'UmbracoDbDSN'. If there's some other config file that requires editing, this has yet to bite me on the alpha romeo sierra echo.

Many thanks again.

Gareth

Mar 31, 2014 @ 21:46
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Gareth

Ah yes of course - should have thought about mentioning that the connectionString should be changed afterwards. But happy to hear you figured it all out.

Cheers. Jan

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft