Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• julius 107 posts 289 karma points
    Jan 02, 2014 @ 11:59
    julius

Umbraco 7 - stuck in installation process

Hello,

When I create a new Umbraco installation I can get through the install process without a problem. But when I then add custom code to my project from a previous Umbvraco 7 project in Visual Studio 2013 somehow  I can't login to Umbraco anymore and Umbraco shows the installation process again, starting at step one, then 2 and then the final step 6. 

When I click "set up your new website" in step 6, the installer starts at step 1 again.

Where can I tell Umbraco that it doesn't have to run the installer process anymore? Do I need to flip a switch in the db somewhere, or in web.config? The site is fine as it is. I don't need to install anything.

• Jeroen Breuer 4908 posts 12265 karma points MVP 4x admin c-trib
    Jan 02, 2014 @ 12:04
    Jeroen Breuer

Hello,

What parts of the website did you try to override with your custom code? Perhaps you somehow changed the connection string so Umbraco might not know if it's working with a new or existing website.

Jeroen

• mrclan 8 posts 79 karma points
    Nov 21, 2016 @ 11:00
    mrclan

Hi Julius,

Yes, I've changed the connection string from my staging to live, and Umbraco is now confused that this is an entirely new site. And hence, starts a fresh installation process that never completes. So, what can I do to fix this issue ? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

PS: My umbraco version is 7.5.4

• Henry 4 posts 24 karma points
    Jan 02, 2014 @ 13:36
    Henry

Hi Julius,

I've had a similar issue when first installing Umbraco I kept seeing the installation wizard; however after publication it went away.

This might not be it, but are you running Visual Studio with administrator permissions?

Cheers,

Henry

Jan 02, 2014 @ 13:47
    julius

I did a thorough check of the issue and I think it is caused by a dependency/DLL problem. I have been able to NOT end up in the installation wizard again, but now I am running into an error and I can't access the admin anymore.

1. Create new ASP.NET Empty Web Application in Visual Studio 2013

2. Copy Umbraco 7.01 extracted download to the project folder, overwriting the default web.config with the web.config from tje umbraco download (so I am working with Umbraco's default web.config).

3. Create website in IIS and docnfigure hostname in hosts file

4. Create new db in MS SQL Server

5. Run installer in Chrome / created "admin" / "welcome" as the password

6. TEST: Automatic first login after installation succeeds, but the leftmost vertical bar contains no icons, so this FAILS.

Chrome developer tools tells me that 5 server calls failed with a 417 error "Failed to load resource: the server responded with a status of 417 (Invalid token)"

-> http://u7.com/umbraco/Api/UpdateCheck/GetCheck

-> http://u7.com/umbraco/UmbracoApi/Dashboard/GetDashboard?section=content

-> http://u7.com/umbraco/UmbracoApi/Section/GetSections

-> http://u7.com/umbraco/UmbracoApi/Content/GetById?id=1074

-> http://u7.com/umbraco/UmbracoApi/Authentication/GetRemainingTimeoutSeconds

The GetSections or GetDashboard call failing might cause the leftmost vertical bar not to show.

7: TEST: Clearing cookies and logging in again -> Login success and the leftmost vertical bar is showing again.

8. Importing package with exported content types, nodes and data types from an old Umbraco 7.0 build 200 installation succeeds. 

9. TEST: Logging out and back in again succeeds

10. After package import there are nodes present in the tree, but they are unpublished, so I am publishing them.

11. TEST: logging out and back in a couple of times succeeds.

12: TEST: Visiting the homepage node works. It has a very simple template that just says "hello" and I see that appearing in the browser.

13: In VS 2013 I am including the Css, Config and Views folders in the project.

14: TEST: My VS project contains hardly any custom code yet, just some empty templates that came with the Umbraco 7.0 200 package I imported. Still I am building it to see what happens -> RESULT OK. Site still runs, logging out and in works.

This seems to work so I am creating a backup. 

Now for the reintegration of the code I wrote for the Umbraco 7.0 200 installation

1. First I am adding a second project that I wrote and that I know my Umbraco code depends on. Adding the project works and the site still runs, logging out and in still works too.

2. Copying the "Controllers", "Models", "Views/shared" and "Exception" folders and including them in my VS2013 project. Now I need to add a number of dependencies: umbraco, System.Web.MVC, Umbraco.Core, UmbracoData (my own project). Rebuilding the project and visiting the site ---> BROKE!

So, the problem is probably somewhere in the dependencies I added? Not a clue really.

1. Replaced umbraco, umbraco.Core dlls, System.web.MVC, System.web.http in UmbracoData project with versions from the umbraco download. The System.Web dependency I had to take from the system, because it is not present in the Umbraco download. 

This helps somewhat, the homepage still runs, but when I go to /umbraco I get this error:

Server Error in '/' Application.

Compilation Error

Description: An error occurred during the compilation of a resource required to service this request. Please review the following specific error details and modify your source code appropriately.

Compiler Error Message: CS1660: Cannot convert lambda expression to type 'string' because it is not a delegate type

Source Error:
    Line 49:         Umbraco.Sys.ServerVariables = {
    Line 50:             "umbracoUrls": {                
    Line 51:                 "authenticationApiBaseUrl": "@(Url.GetUmbracoApiServiceBaseUrl(controller => controller.PostLogin(null)))",
    Line 52:                 "serverVarsJs": '@Url.Action("ServerVariables", "BackOffice")'
    Line 53:             }
    Source File: c:\Projects\Produx U7\Umbraco\Views\Default.cshtml    Line: 51 
    Show Detailed Compiler Output:
    Show Complete Compilation Source:
    Jan 02, 2014 @ 14:48
    julius

Ok, I spent a couple of hours in DLL hell and I think I solved it, but I have no clue how, so I don't think this is going to be a very useful thread for others. 

Hope this helps you if you bump into this thread:

DLL version problems can possibly cause the installer to act weird and restart. If you have multiple projects in your VS solution that all have dependencies on Umbraco DLLs, be careful and take all your DLLs from 1 and the same Umbraco download. 

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft