Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Ryan 35 posts 129 karma points
    Apr 26, 2013 @ 18:12
    Ryan

Move/Reorganize Document Types

Hi

I would like to reorganize some of my document types.  My test site has been evolving into something closer to live, and I want to clean up my initial mess.

1. Can you change the parent of a child doc type?  I tried doing this in the "cmsContentType2ContentType" database.  However it doesn't change after updating the web.config or an iisreset.  I just upgraded from 6.0.2 to 6.0.4 in hopes that it would work, but I'm having the save issue.  I may be missing something though.

2. How would you go about moving fields from a child doc type to the parent?  I tried recreating the same exact fields, names and types at the parent level, then delete the child versions since they should inherit.  However when I browse to the pages with that doc type all of the content is gone.  Again, I may be going at this the wrong way.

Please let me know if you need more info.  Thanks for your help!

• Rich Green 2246 posts 4008 karma points
    Apr 26, 2013 @ 18:20
    Rich Green

Hey Ryan,

Sadly the answer is not really, though it is possible.

Do you have alot of content in your site?

One way you can do it is to use uSiteBuilder admin, export all your DocTypes then reconfigure them, however with regards to the content you have in there this might be re-inputted.

Maybe just put it live, and learn for the next one :)

The other option to manage this better is DocTypeMixins, using Master DocTypes is problematic for these very reason.

Rich

• Charles Afford 1163 posts 1709 karma points
    Apr 30, 2013 @ 14:40
    Charles Afford

Hi, when you say change the parent of the child doc type.  Do you mean moving the whole doc type around.  I have been abole to do this, by really qucikly grabbing and moving the doc type to the new parent and it moves.  When you changed the properties and the content dissapeared they is know way around this.  But Rich will know more about it than me :). (If there is a way please let me know).  Charlie

• Funka! 398 posts 661 karma points
    Apr 30, 2013 @ 19:45
    Funka!

Really painful way to do this, but less painful than the alternative of manually recreating all of your content nodes after restructuring your document types, is perhaps as follows. (Warning, please make a backup of your installation before trying this.)

1. Create a package containing your content nodes, download the package and save locally.

2. Delete these content nodes. Dump from recycling.

3. Restructure/rebuild your document types as you had attempted earlier.

4. Install your package which will restore the content nodes. (Hopefully.)

You can also take your package ZIP file that you downloaded in step 1, extract it, and manually edit the XML file therewithin. Sometimes a good ol' search-and-replace is handy if you needed to rename any of the properties or doctype names, then re-package back into the ZIP and BAM! Success!

This is kind of one of the shortcomings of umbraco at this point in time. As someone else mentioned, DocTypeMixins might solve this but the underlying problem of not being able to restructure these things after you've built actual pages still exists. It's been on the wishlist for a few years I think to improve this, but i think the current status is that we have to wait until the new, prettier UI is out of the way before this will take priority?

Best of luck!

• Rich Green 2246 posts 4008 karma points
    Apr 30, 2013 @ 21:02
    Rich Green

A much easier way if you don't have content to move around is to export all DocTypes using http://our.umbraco.org/projects/backoffice-extensions/usitebuilder-admin & refactor them this way, also means you don't get this problem again.

Rich

• Charles Afford 1163 posts 1709 karma points
    Apr 30, 2013 @ 22:07
    Charles Afford

Sorry, you would no more about it :) was just saying that i did manage to do it that way :).

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft