Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• siko 24 posts 77 karma points
    Jul 04, 2017 @ 21:09
    siko

Hello umbraco users,

Revisiting Umbraco after a first introduction some 8 years ago. Many things seem to have improved. I still find it somewhat hard to wrap my head around some implementation details.

Scenario: We chose a very nice bootstrap based html template and I am finding a way to provide our editors a good way to create pages and site structure.

I find it hard to chose between

1. a macro (which seems to be limited in frontend usage by the limited content editors; for example there is no dropdown list possible with predefined values, if I'm correct?)
    2. a grid editor of type DocType (http://our.umbraco.org/projects/backoffice-extensions/doc-type-grid-editor); It seems to be limited to only grid usage? (Can I use the view to render it from another razor view and pass values for the doctype?)
    3. Hidden-from-navigation nodes with children to render those sections from other page templates... not very intuitive to our editors, but seems to work nice.

I would like to (for example) add an 'Image box' where I set the image, header text, button text, button link, icon, etc. through a content friendly interface (chosing style descriptions through dropdowns etc.) and at the same time be able to render that partial from another template by passing values through code....

What am I looking for?

Thanks for any insight... struggling re-beginner

• emma burstow 43 posts 251 karma points MVP 3x hq c-trib
    Jul 05, 2017 @ 09:58
    emma burstow

Hi Siko,

For this situation I tend to use Nested Content - a package that's available in the repository (and will be added to the core soon). This allows smaller doctypes to be used and reused by content editors with the properties already defined by you and the code neatly wrapped up in a partialview.

The documentation is really thorough too. Have a look here and see what you think.

https://our.umbraco.org/projects/backoffice-extensions/nested-content/

It behaves much as the child node structure does but content editors find it a little easier to use as they are working on the node that will render their content.

Emma

Jul 05, 2017 @ 10:46
    siko

Hi Emma,

Yes, that seems like a nice solution that allows complex content and a decent editor experience.

Thanks for the answer and pushing me towards that direction!

Sijmen

• emma burstow 43 posts 251 karma points MVP 3x hq c-trib
    Jul 05, 2017 @ 10:48
    emma burstow

You're welcome!

Em

• David Sheiles 67 posts 337 karma points
    Jul 05, 2017 @ 11:15
    David Sheiles

Hi Siko,

Also take a look at Text Over Image Editor which sounds like it might do what your looking for.

Jul 05, 2017 @ 17:15
    siko

Thank you too David!

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft