Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Martijn van der Put 44 posts 65 karma points
    Apr 02, 2010 @ 13:21
    Martijn van der Put

Feature request to improve performance when modifying Document through API

For developers who are modifying the values of Documents properties (for example in a batch update or import) it would be a welcome feature to get rid of the "immediately save new property value to database" functionality. Since this is a performance decreasing devil.

A better way that I have seen in other Content Management Systems is to set the item in an "edit-mode" to make it possible to modify property values -> modify the property values -> end "edit mode" which automatically saves all the changes of this item back to the database.

• Jeroen Breuer 4908 posts 12265 karma points MVP 4x admin c-trib
    Apr 02, 2010 @ 14:07
    Jeroen Breuer

I agree on this one. It's too late to change this in Umbraco 4, but I recommend the above approach for Umbraco 5. Could save a lot of performance!

Apr 02, 2010 @ 14:08
    Jeroen Breuer

P.S. It might be a good idea to make a workitem for this: http://umbraco.codeplex.com/workitem/list/basic

• Martijn van der Put 44 posts 65 karma points
    Apr 02, 2010 @ 16:04
    Martijn van der Put

I just created a work item for this. Thanks for the tip.

Apr 02, 2010 @ 16:36
  • Aaron Powell 1708 posts 3046 karma points c-trib
    Apr 03, 2010 @ 00:53
    Aaron Powell

There's actually a good reason why the saving happens when it does. The design of the DataType allows anyone to be able to implement them to do almost anything.

The standard way to use a DataType is to write to the Umbraco database, but you don't have to do it that way, you can write to an XML file, call a web service or actually have no data saving.

Because of this it's up the responsibility of the DataType creator to do the CRUD operations, it's not possible to have Umbraco have some kind of a global save operation (because what if there wasn't a save!).

Whether or not DataTypes stay this flexible in Umbraco 5 is yet to be seen though.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft