Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Dave Rollins 35 posts 48 karma points
    Sep 14, 2009 @ 14:08
    Dave Rollins

Copy Property From One Doc Type to Another

I would love to copy a property I've set up for one document type to another.

You would click a copy button on the property and it would work something like this:

A list the other defined document types and you would select one of these and the following would occur:

Name, alias, data type, validation, description would be copied to the target data type.

If the source tab name, if it exists on the target data type would be preserved otherwise the type would simply go under the "Generic Properties" tab.

----

Don't know how this would be to do but it would be a great feature IMO.

Sep 14, 2009 @ 14:12
    Dave Rollins

Should read like this... sorry - no way to edit my posts...

I would love to be able to copy a property I've set up for one document type to another.

You would click a copy button on the property and it would work something like this:

• You would be presented with a list of all defined document types.
    • You would select one of these and the following would occur:
    • Name, alias, data type, validation, description would be copied to the target document type.
    • If the source tab name exists in the target you would use it otherwise the "Generic Properties" tab would be used

• Sandro 45 posts 118 karma points c-trib
    Sep 14, 2009 @ 14:37
    Sandro

Hi Dave,

If you need the same property on two doc types, why don't you use inheritance?

Classic example are Meta-Tags. Instead of redefine the properties for the Meta-Tags each time, I create them once in a "Master"-Doctype

Sep 14, 2009 @ 15:21
    Dave Rollins

Hey - I didnt know you could do that... cool.

Let me play with that one... thanks. That is a much better solution.

Sep 14, 2009 @ 15:32
    Dave Rollins

Hey is there a way to move doc type under another once they are created to do this inheritance thing... I've already got my types in the wrong place and users have already created like 70 pages.

I see how to do the copy thing under another doc type node - but this does not help me with the pages already built.

• Jannik Nilsson 38 posts 81 karma points
    Sep 14, 2009 @ 16:26
    Jannik Nilsson

You can do it in the database, but I would strongly suggest you take a backup first. The system freaks if there is already a field on the doc type with the name if the inherited field.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft