Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Solomon Closson 22 posts 42 karma points
    Oct 06, 2014 @ 19:40
    Solomon Closson

Umbraco 4.6.1 - Site Optimization Project

Our company has acquired a site that uses Umbraco 4.6.1. We are seeking someone who can optimize this site for performance, as it has been an ongoing problem since we acquired it. The site runs .NET 4.0 Framework and is coded with C#. We need an experienced ASP.NET/Umbraco user to optimize this site so that the site still functions the same, but does not take forever (currently takes approx. 30 mins) to load a single page, after hitting the web.config to recompile the site.

This is a 1-Time project, however, if successful, we may use your expertise on future projects.

If interested, and require more information before making a decision, please call us at: 610-902-0000

You may also visit our website at: http://thinkitfirst.com

We are not looking to upgrade Umbraco at this time, as we are using the site in ASP.NET mode with Master Pages and Custom User Controls, however, if this is absolutely needed in order to properly optimize the site for performance, we will consider it.

Thank You!

• Nigel Wilson 944 posts 2076 karma points
    Oct 06, 2014 @ 20:05
    Nigel Wilson

Hi there

I am in New Zealand but am interested in working on your project.

My website is www.yoyocms.co.nz and I have 7+years using Umbraco and am a certified Level 1 and 2 developer.

If you are interested in working with me please drop me an email at [email protected] so I can obtain further information about the project.

Thanks

Nigel

• Viral Shah 32 posts 61 karma points
    Oct 06, 2014 @ 20:27
    Viral Shah

Hi Solomon -

I will be happy to help on this. Having 15+ years of experience with .NET development and 5+ years with Umbraco and have built 25+ Umbraco based web sites.

Please drop me an email at viral at jinsoftsolutions.com and we can take this forward.

Kind regards

Viral

• corleon 20 posts 50 karma points
    Oct 06, 2014 @ 21:58
    corleon

Hello!

Top1 Umbraco provider on oDesk.

SkypeID: cor1eon

Thanks, Rob

Oct 06, 2014 @ 22:29
    Solomon Closson

We have decided not to employ on this project. I apologize for the premature post of this Job Listing. Thank you all for your enthusiasm regarding this project. I will keep you all in mind, just in case.

Hoping that a moderator will see this and remove this topic.

• Dave Woestenborghs 3504 posts 12133 karma points MVP 8x admin c-trib
    Oct 06, 2014 @ 23:08
    Dave Woestenborghs

Hi Solomon,

Your post about the slow startup triggered me. We had the same problem when using uSitebuilder with a site that has a lot of doctypes. Are you using uSitebuilder ?

Dave

Oct 07, 2014 @ 16:40
    Solomon Closson

Hello Dave,

No, we aren't using uSitebuilder. The site was built in Visual Studio using .NET Framework 4.0 and C#. There is definitely something causing this server lag in performance, as we can see the system resources jumping to maximum levels on the server, which is odd because it is on a very fast server and has plenty of RAM to handle 20 sites, yet it is slow at delivering pages on just 1 site. I honestly am convinced that it has to do with how pages are being cached within the coding of Document Types. As each Document Type in umbraco has a relative .cs file associated with it in App_Code.

Oct 07, 2014 @ 16:41
    Dave Woestenborghs

Hard to say then without having more information.

Dave

Oct 07, 2014 @ 16:45
    Solomon Closson

Trust me, I would love to give you all of the information in order to make a proper assessment, however, that would mean that I would have to give you access to the server. It would not be something that my company is willing to do. If there were another way without sacrificing the security of the server, I'd be all for it. And I'm sure if you did something to improve performance you would be compensated for it!

Oct 07, 2014 @ 16:46
    Dave Woestenborghs

Maybe the logs can give you some more information. You can find them in the database I think for that version of Umbraco.

Also enabling tracing would be a option.

Dave

Oct 07, 2014 @ 16:58
    Solomon Closson

Thanks. There has to be a memory leak, we have 8 GB of RAM, and it is using 96% of it at all times, just to run 1 site. Their are tons of umbraco logs in the database, will need to sort through them all.

Oct 08, 2014 @ 08:17
    Dave Woestenborghs

Hi Solomon,

Some additional questions :

• Do you have the same behavior on another server.
    • Is there some custom code in your startup 
    Dave
    Oct 10, 2014 @ 07:22
    Solomon Closson

Yeah, there are several things going on within each page load of the site. There is a call to get the weather from a specific city in the header, which occurs on all page loads. But there is a timeout applied to this, in case no response from the server after x seconds, so that shouldn't be affecting the load of pages. There are several handlers, and a ContextExtensions.cs file in App_Code, a Redirector.cs file also that appears to be called on all page loads. There were translations implemented in Umbraco, but was setup so that each language has it's own folder and different content, and homepage. This set the Location of the parent node of the entire site, but this is no longer needed, now that Google Translate has been implemented on the site. So the removal of this code might help to speed things along also...

Oct 10, 2014 @ 07:37
    Solomon Closson

1 other thing that I noticed, if I delete the umbraco.config file in App_Data, it has trouble recreating it. And therefore, it breaks the entire site. This is not good. There is full write access to this for the Application Pool, so it doesn't make any sense. It recreates it partially, but not entirely I think. It's very buggy, so I don't dare delete the file, as it would break the whole site. Also, the database is getting big at 13 Gigs, so maybe that has something to do with some of the resources...

Oct 10, 2014 @ 08:16
    Dave Woestenborghs

Hey Solomon,

Check the size of the Umbraco Log table. Maybe you can delete some old log record.

Or you can have a lot of document version. You can execute this script on your database to find and maybe delete them :

/* Delete Old Document Versions */

Declare @keepOldVersionsCount int, @keepNewerThanDate datetime

Set @keepOldVersionsCount = 0 /* 0 Keeps published and newest only. */
    Set @keepNewerThanDate = getdate() /* getDate() or '2013-01-01' */

IF OBJECT_ID('tempdb..#versions') IS NOT NULL DROP TABLE #versions

SELECT VersionID, nodeId, updateDate, newest, published  INTO #versions 
    FROM cmsDocument
    WHERE versionID NOT IN 
        (SELECT D.versionId 
         FROM cmsDocument D 
         WHERE D.versionId IN 
            (SELECT versionId 
             FROM 
                (SELECT CV.versionId, published, newest, CV.versionDate, RANK() OVER(ORDER BY CV.versionDate DESC) RowNum   
                 FROM cmsContentVersion CV JOIN cmsDocument DD ON CV.versionId = DD.versionId    
                 WHERE DD.nodeId = D.nodeId) AS tmp     
             WHERE tmp.RowNum <= (@keepOldVersionsCount + 2) OR tmp.published = 1 OR tmp.newest = 1 or tmp.versionDate >= @keepNewerThanDate)  
         )

Select * from #versions

--DELETE FROM cmsContentVersion WHERE VersionId IN (select #tmp.VersionId from #versions)
    --DELETE FROM cmsPreviewXml WHERE versionId IN (select #tmp.VersionId from #versions)
    --DELETE FROM cmsPropertyData WHERE VersionId IN (select #tmp.VersionId from #versions)
    --DELETE FROM cmsDocument WHERE VersionId IN (select #tmp.VersionId from #versions)

Dave

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft