Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Sebastiaan Janssen 5045 posts 15477 karma points MVP admin hq
    Feb 08, 2010 @ 17:03
    Sebastiaan Janssen

Error saving user (check log)

I have been happily creating users in my Umbraco install and so far it's not been a problem. However today, I got the "Error saving user (check log)" error.

I checked the umbracoLog table, but it was less than informative ("User cannot be updated."). The user has been created in the umbracoUser table, but the startStructureId and startMediaId are -1 (I did choose values for these!). 

I'm noticing that it's user number 32, which is a suspicious number, might be it?

No entries were created in umbracoUser2App.

When I manually fix the above 2 problems and recycle the app pool, I have a working user. However, I still can't update the user. If I create another new users, I get the same problem. 

There's no problem updating the other 31 users, just any user with ID 32 and higher...

Help?

• Jonas Eriksson 930 posts 1825 karma points
    Feb 08, 2010 @ 18:32
    Jonas Eriksson

Exactly the same problem here, begun when I started to using startStructureId. Users are only 9, so no evil #32 at my site :-)

Feb 08, 2010 @ 18:34
    Jonas Eriksson

(I'm not using Runway on my site, and another thing is that the whole "select start node in content"-control goes away after I choose a node and save it.)

Feb 09, 2010 @ 08:48
    Sebastiaan Janssen

Oh, I do still have the posibility to select the start node, that's not the problem. 

Looks like I will have to have a look at the source code to see where the "User cannot be updated." error is being written.

Feb 09, 2010 @ 09:36
    Sebastiaan Janssen

Found it, the username was too "similar" to a previous user's username. This is a bug in Umbraco, the check is clearly wrong. Issue created.

Feb 09, 2010 @ 14:08
    Jonas Eriksson

oh "the getAllByLoginName function does a query on the loginname with the LIKE operator", ah, that's why. I tried a shorter version of an existing logonname. Good find!

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft