Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Wes 14 posts 35 karma points
    Dec 30, 2010 @ 23:58
    Wes

"Request timed out" installing Runway modules

I downloaded 4.5.2 today, and have installed it on an XP Pro development workstation to tinker with it. The installation seems to have gone reasonably well, except...

My attempts to install any Runway modules, during initial installation or subsequently, results in a "Request timed out" error. The modules are listed as installed, but don't appear to be completely functional.

I added an httpRuntime timeout to web.config, which allowed the top menu module to install without error. But attempts to install others (e.g., contact form) still time out, even if I extended the timeout value considerably.

Any clue what I've done wrong here?

• Jan Skovgaard 11280 posts 23678 karma points MVP 10x admin c-trib
    Dec 31, 2010 @ 09:52
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Wes

Does the ASP.NET user have proper permissions?

/Jan

Jan 03, 2011 @ 15:17
    Wes

Hey Jan,

It certainly appears to, yes; I used the batch file referenced in the installation instructions to set them, and I just checked, and yes, ASPNET has what you would expect in the directory hierarchy of the application (modify, read/execute, list, read, write). But moreover, "everyone" has full control perms as well (whether good, bad, right, wrong or otherwise on that point; it's an XP Pro workstation on a network where I'm the only user), so I would hope perms are a non-issue here.

Wes

• Jeroen Breuer 4908 posts 12265 karma points MVP 4x admin c-trib
    Jan 03, 2011 @ 16:10
    Jeroen Breuer

I have the same problem. Not sure but this happens to me since Umbraco 4.6 JUNO Beta with the new starter kits was released. Maybe they made some updates to the runway modules for 4.5.2 which causes this problem.

Jeroen

• Jos Huybrighs 23 posts 55 karma points
    Jan 04, 2011 @ 09:32
    Jos Huybrighs

Same problem here with the 'Contact Form' module of Runway. Installation of Top-Navigation went OK.
    I am also new to Umbraco and so far can't really say whether I like this CMS. I'm sad to say that concern is creeping in when simply reproducing what is explained in the video doesn't work. A pity.

Jos

Jan 04, 2011 @ 16:51
    Wes

Jeroen, unfortunately, it appears I will have to look at Juno to resolve another issue (the media insertion in the rich text editor doesn't handle virtual directory installations properly). I only hope that upgrading from the Juno beta to Juno release isn't going to be too much of a pain; I originally avoided Juno specifically to avoid these issues. Veel plezier met het spelen er mee.

Jos, once I extended the timeouts in web.config, I had the same experience; top navigation went OK, and the contact form did not. I too have been somewhat frustrated with Umbraco so far; community documentation in the form of a wiki is not the most useful, or complete, way to learn something, and I simply don't have the time these days to "figure it out on my own." That being said, after doing just that (tinkering around with it for a couple of days), I am beginning to understand and appreciate the architecture, and I still think it will be a nice platform for my needs. (Provided I can solve the problem I mentioned to Jeroen above by using Juno.)

Wes

• Stelios Issaias 1 post 21 karma points
    Jan 05, 2011 @ 14:08
    Stelios Issaias

Does anyone has a solution for this?

I just did a fresh install on Windows 7 IIS7 using the webplatform.

When I am installing the modules I am getting the same error 

Thanks

• Alex Norcliffe 222 posts 287 karma points
    Jan 05, 2011 @ 16:03
    Alex Norcliffe

Hi all, is the serverr which is running Umbraco in these instances able to access the net with decent enough speed? I've seen this in the past when connectivity between my local machine and the package repo was slow

Jan 05, 2011 @ 17:54
    Wes

Alex, in my case, I have a reasonably high-speed, relatively low latency connection here, so I'm hoping that's not the issue. I can't speak for the performance of the package repository when I was using it. Who knows.

In the end, I don't really want any of the functionality the packages offer, but I still wish I could figure out what's actually going wrong.

• Phillip 4 posts 24 karma points
    Feb 13, 2011 @ 14:44
    Phillip

This post in the old forum turn out to be the answer for me.  I added the URL to the hosts. file on my server pointing to 127.0.0.1 and it worked for all modules :)

http://forum.umbraco.org/yaf_postst4598_The-operation-has-timed-out-Unhandled-Exception-and-GetJavaScriptProxy.aspx

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft