Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Alex Burr 77 posts 128 karma points
    Jun 07, 2010 @ 15:57
    Alex Burr

Error on installing in IIS

Hi everyone,

I've been given access to a server running Win Server 2003 for testing purposes. I'm hoping to install Umbraco but I am having a very hard time. I installed an earlier version on my local machine a while ago, using the Cassini/VistaDB instructions, but those didn't seem to work for the latest version - when I tried to run the Umbraco installer I got a .NET error "Child nodes not allowed."

So I thought I'd point IIS to Umbraco instead and run it that way, but that gives me an error "Unrecognized attribute 'restartOnExternalChanges'." I have been given a limited amount of time to get this installed and would appreciate if anyone had some pointers.

For background, I have installed .NET 3.5, Win Server '03 (IIS 6).

Thanks in advance!

• Chris Dunn 210 posts 401 karma points
    Jun 07, 2010 @ 16:14
    Chris Dunn

This may have to do with running the wrong version of .net for the application.  Check to make sure you are running .net 2.0 on the asp.net tab of the virtual directory.

Are you using the 3.5+ web.config file downloaded from codeplex?

here is some more info that might help:

http://forums.asp.net/p/1186009/2024111.aspx

-Chris

Jun 07, 2010 @ 20:09
    Alex Burr

Argh! No luck.

I have pointed the IIS site *and* the Cassini site to the same folder (C:\inetpub\umbraco4) and of course set them to different ports. I made sure to install the latest .NET framework from MS, and have selected 2.0 for .NET in both IIS and Cassini.

When I browse to either site (IIS or Cassini) I get:

Server Error in '/' Application.

Configuration Error

Description: An error occurred during the processing of a configuration file required to service this request. Please review the specific error details below and modify your configuration file appropriately.

Parser Error Message: Child nodes not allowed.

Source Error:

Line 142:    <compilers>
    Line 143:      <compiler language="c#;cs;csharp" extension=".cs" warningLevel="4" type="Microsoft.CSharp.CSharpCodeProvider, System, Version=2.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089">
    Line 144:        <providerOption name="CompilerVersion" value="v3.5"/>
    Line 145:        <providerOption name="WarnAsError" value="false"/>
    Line 146:      </compiler>

Source File: C:\Inetpub\umbraco4\web.config    Line: 144

Version Information: Microsoft .NET Framework Version:2.0.50727.42; ASP.NET Version:2.0.50727.42

Jun 07, 2010 @ 20:42
    Alex Burr

Okay I found this documentation:

http://our.umbraco.org/wiki/install-and-setup/how-to-install-umbraco-on-windows-server-2003

Which got me to exactly the same place error-wise. :(

Another question is, can we no longer use Cassini on the latest version of Umbraco? It's substantially more effort to get the server configured to run IIS and SQL Server before installing Umbraco.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft