Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Jonas Thierry 5 posts 85 karma points
    Jan 28, 2016 @ 13:19
    Jonas Thierry

From manual to nuget upgrade

Hi

Is it possible to go from manual upgrade of Umbraco to nuget.

My site is running in VS but Umbraco wont show up in upgrades.

Thanks.

• Jeroen Breuer 4908 posts 12265 karma points MVP 4x admin c-trib
    Jan 31, 2016 @ 16:49
    Jeroen Breuer

Hello,

Did you read the documentation about NuGet upgrades? https://our.umbraco.org/documentation/getting-started/setup/install/install-umbraco-with-nuget

I think you can only do a NuGet upgrade if the project has been using NuGet from the start.

Jeroen

• Jonas Thierry 5 posts 85 karma points
    Feb 01, 2016 @ 11:42
    Jonas Thierry

I believe you are right... better go to Work then :-)

• Jan Arenö 9 posts 40 karma points
    Feb 17, 2016 @ 08:53
    Jan Arenö

Do you have a plan how to do this? I have a v7 installed from zip (or even the web platform installer) that I now, when it's time to try to keep it up with latest release, realize that I should have gone with nuget.

So there is no way to move from one to another, but is there a good practice how to move all doctypes, views etc from one to another? The db can be the same. Should I upgrade manually to latest, then move it to nuget, or should i move to nuget, then upgrade. Or do them both at the same time, setup new project with latest from nuget, move files and map it to old db (and hopefully it upgrades the db automatic)?

• Bjarne Fyrstenborg 1280 posts 3990 karma points MVP 7x c-trib
    Sep 19, 2016 @ 08:01
    Bjarne Fyrstenborg

I have an existing project, which has been installed manual and previously upgraded by merging changes to existing project.

I would like to switch to NuGet, so it in the future can be upgraded via NuGet.

Can I install the current Umbraco version via NuGet on top of the existing project, overwrite existing files and then merge any specific config changes etc. back to the project... and then run upgrade via NuGet?

Thanks, Bjarne

• Jan A 58 posts 263 karma points
    Sep 19, 2016 @ 08:18
    Jan A

I had this issue and ended up in doing a new nuget project, merged/moved in all code by hand into new solution. Also took the time to clean up the code with better namespace etc.

I found no way to migrate a manual project to a nuget. But I didn't have to big project, I guess I would tried harder if the project is really big.

• Sebastiaan Janssen 5045 posts 15476 karma points MVP admin hq
    Sep 19, 2016 @ 08:20
    Sebastiaan Janssen

Here's how I would tackle this:

1. Figure out what version your Umbraco install is on right now, let's say 7.5.3
    2. Create a new solution that's exactly to your liking and NuGet install that version into it (Install-Package UmbracoCms -Version 7.5.3 )
    3. Start and configure the install, just to get everything in a "known good" state - so run the installer, pick SQL CE but don't install the starter kit (in the next step we'll overwrite web.config, so the SQL CE database won't be used, unless you are already using it in your existing install)
    4. Copy in your files from your existing install.. just overwrite everything except for the .sln and .csproj file - the .csproj file actually contains the references to the NuGet packages folder which you need to be able to do NuGet upgrades.
    5. In Visual Studio click the "don't lie to me" button (also known as "show all files" and start including what needs to be included, like it was in your previous solution

If you name the solution the same as your old solution, you can eventually do a compare and make sure everything is (relatively) the same except for the .csproj file and maybe the .sln file which will be a little bit different.

Finally if you're happy, switch out the folders and commit the new NuGet powered solution to git (or your version control system of choice).

Sep 19, 2016 @ 09:02
    Bjarne Fyrstenborg

Thanks for your answer Sebastiaan.

I am currently running Umbraco 7.4.1, so you will recommend to do these steps with NuGet install of Umbraco v7.4.1 and do an upgrade to v7.5.3 afterwards?

/Bjarne

Sep 19, 2016 @ 09:08
    Sebastiaan Janssen

Aah, that's where the upgrade question came from. Yes, then definitely that would be what I'd do!

Sep 19, 2016 @ 11:19
    Bjarne Fyrstenborg

I installed Umbraco v7.4.1 via NuGet in a clean website project, but after selecting SQL CE and no starterkit to install, it seemed to fail going further in install process.

VS showed a message like this in output window:

Error: allowDefinition='MachineToApplication' beyond application level

enter image description here

and when closing the browser window and starting the site again from VS (CTRL+F5) it showed this message:

I searched a bit and found this: http://stackoverflow.com/a/14644594

I compared this /bin folder in the new project (left side) with the existing /bin project (right side):

So I removed the website project, created a new one, installed Umbraco v7.4.1 and before running the site I also copied the folder "amd64" and "x86".

With these folders includes I ran the website project and installed Umbraco without any errors.

/Bjarne

Sep 19, 2016 @ 13:13
    Bjarne Fyrstenborg

I have removed the folders in /App_Data/NuGetBackup/ where it complained about the siteMap section i web.config .. so now I don't get the issue Error: allowDefinition='MachineToApplication' beyond application level

However I have another issue, where FullId doesn't seem to be available.

/Bjarne

Sep 19, 2016 @ 14:13
    Sebastiaan Janssen

Are you using a Website project (as opposed to a Web Application)?

I'm not sure where GenericProperty is actually coming from, we don't ship with that file (I check 7.4.3) so maybe you can just delete it? And maybe also do a compare and delete other old files? It seems like you've been upgrading this site a few times already. :)

Sep 19, 2016 @ 14:16
    Sebastiaan Janssen

Oh, forgot to add: if you're using a Website project then make sure to set the site to no build:

Sep 19, 2016 @ 18:59
    Bjarne Fyrstenborg

Hi Sebastiaan

Yes, you are right. It seems this file GenericProperty.ascx isn't used anymore and not shipped with Umbraco, when compared against a zip download of v7.4.1

Furthermore it also has a ContentTypeControlNew.ascx, which I guess also is some old stuff.

The site have been upgraded several times and I have not been working on the project from the beginning. So I might have missed some of these files as I mainly look at the changes from version x to version y and it previously has been a manual upgrade.

It also seems to contains other files that should be removed:

The existing project was a web application project, but I would like the separate it into three projects:

• *.App - application project for less, javascript, gulp etc.
    • *.Library - class library project for models, controlles, helpers, etc.
    • *.Web - website project for final website to deploy - then it is also prepared for UaaS, since the client might want to make the switch later.

Furthermore the build wasn't disabled for the website project.

But I wonder why these files are included in the zip file, but not installed via NuGet in the website project.

Also /App_Browsers/ and /Config/Splashes/ are missing.

When I install Umbraco via the following command Install-Package UmbracoCms it does add the folders "amd64" and "x86".

But when target for a specific version it seems these files are missing Install-Package UmbracoCms -Version 7.4.1

In a previously project installed via Install-Package UmbracoCms (v7.4.3) is has includes these folders, but when I now install Install-Package UmbracoCms -Version 7.4.3 it doesn't add folders/files.

/Bjarne

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft