Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• JSuh 6 posts 108 karma points
    Jan 05, 2016 @ 01:38
    JSuh

How do I reset to a fresh database?

I installed umbraco 7.3.1 via webmatrix. After messing around with it for a while, I would now like to start from a fresh install. From what I read it was as simple as drop the database, creating a new one, making sure the database rights are correct for the db user, remove the version number from the web.config, and then simply navigate to the root url.

I did that, and the website shows up and it appears to be installing but in fact just sits there.

Looking at the logfile, I see

2016-01-04 16:49:46,961 [P31104/D2/T12] INFO Umbraco.Core.Persistence.UmbracoDatabase - at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlConnection.OnError(SqlException exception, Boolean breakConnection, Action1 wrapCloseInAction) at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlInternalConnection.OnError(SqlException exception, Boolean breakConnection, Action1 wrapCloseInAction) at System.Data.SqlClient.TdsParser.ThrowExceptionAndWarning(TdsParserStateObject stateObj, Boolean callerHasConnectionLock, Boolean asyncClose) at System.Data.SqlClient.TdsParser.TryRun(RunBehavior runBehavior, SqlCommand cmdHandler, SqlDataReader dataStream, BulkCopySimpleResultSet bulkCopyHandler, TdsParserStateObject stateObj, Boolean& dataReady) at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlDataReader.TryConsumeMetaData() at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlDataReader.get_MetaData() at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlCommand.FinishExecuteReader(SqlDataReader ds, RunBehavior runBehavior, String resetOptionsString) at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlCommand.RunExecuteReaderTds(CommandBehavior cmdBehavior, RunBehavior runBehavior, Boolean returnStream, Boolean async, Int32 timeout, Task& task, Boolean asyncWrite, SqlDataReader ds, Boolean describeParameterEncryptionRequest) at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlCommand.RunExecuteReader(CommandBehavior cmdBehavior, RunBehavior runBehavior, Boolean returnStream, String method, TaskCompletionSource1 completion, Int32 timeout, Task& task, Boolean asyncWrite) at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlCommand.RunExecuteReader(CommandBehavior cmdBehavior, RunBehavior runBehavior, Boolean returnStream, String method) at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlCommand.ExecuteScalar() at StackExchange.Profiling.Data.ProfiledDbCommand.ExecuteScalar() at Umbraco.Core.Persistence.PetaPocoCommandExtensions.<>c__DisplayClassa.<ExecuteScalarWithRetry>b__9() at Umbraco.Core.Persistence.FaultHandling.RetryPolicy.ExecuteAction[TResult](Func1 func) at Umbraco.Core.Persistence.PetaPocoCommandExtensions.ExecuteScalarWithRetry(IDbCommand command, RetryPolicy cmdRetryPolicy, RetryPolicy conRetryPolicy) at Umbraco.Core.Persistence.PetaPocoCommandExtensions.ExecuteScalarWithRetry(IDbCommand command, RetryPolicy retryPolicy) at Umbraco.Core.Persistence.PetaPocoCommandExtensions.ExecuteScalarWithRetry(IDbCommand command) at Umbraco.Core.Persistence.Database.ExecuteScalar[T](String sql, Object[] args)

anyone have any ideas what is going on and how I can get through the installation process?

• Dennis Aaen 4500 posts 18255 karma points admin hq c-trib
    Jan 05, 2016 @ 09:38
    Dennis Aaen

Hi JSuh,

If you just want to start a new umbraco installation, you can just download the zip-file from here https://our.umbraco.org/download/ and then unzip it.

After this just override the old files with the new ones that you downloaded. When you refresh the browser you should see the install process again, and you can start on a fresh Umbraco installation with a new database.

Hope this helps,

/Dennis

• JSuh 6 posts 108 karma points
    Jan 05, 2016 @ 18:37
    JSuh

Thanks for the reply.

Actually, I was able to solve this issue by removing the web.config connection string for the database and set version status from "7.3.1" to "". It seems the umbraco can't detect the presence of one and handle it.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft