Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Paul Marden 235 posts 338 karma points MVP c-trib
    Feb 23, 2010 @ 12:00
    Paul Marden

Installed Packages tree missing after upgrade from 4.0.2.1 to 4.0.3

I've got a site installed with Umbraco 4.0.2.1 which I'm trying to upgrade to 4.0.3.

All looked fine until I noticed that the BlogforUmbraco4 v1 package tags had stopped working.  Thats fine cos I haven't upgraded that package, so I thought I'd do an upgrade of the package.

BUT....when I go to Developer > Packages the Installed Packages option has disappeared.  All the contents of the packages that were installed originally including ImageGen and ZipUpload are all there and still working, I just can't see the Packages listed in Developer > Packages > Installed Packages.

Any ideas?

• Ismail Mayat 4511 posts 10091 karma points MVP 2x admin c-trib
    Feb 23, 2010 @ 12:05
    Ismail Mayat

Paul,

Check if folder data\packages which is in your umbraco root contains folders created and installed.  If they are there just recheck permissions. Those folders contain xml files which the tree reads to tell you what you have installed etc.

Regards

Ismail

Feb 23, 2010 @ 12:11
    Paul Marden

OK definately a problem here, permissions are all OK but comparing \data\packages\installed\installedPackages.config between the old version and new shows a dramatic difference.

On the original version I've got 70KB while on the upgraded version I've got 1KB containing

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
    <packages></packages>

That's not good.

• Peter Dijksterhuis 1442 posts 1722 karma points
    Feb 23, 2010 @ 12:28
    Peter Dijksterhuis

Did you overwite the data-folder when upgrading? If so, restoring the file would do no harm.

Feb 23, 2010 @ 13:44
    Paul Marden

Peter - you're right I did exactly that.

So next question is, do we have upgrade instructions.  Obviously my approach didn't work, which was to copy everything from the 4.0.3 zip over the top of my old installation except web.config.  When the site is started it prompts for an upgrade.

I can see install instructions on the wiki, but not upgrade instructions.  Or am I being stupid.

• Peter Dijksterhuis 1442 posts 1722 karma points
    Feb 23, 2010 @ 14:02
    Peter Dijksterhuis

On Codeplex, on the downloads-page, there's a link to an upgrade-guide: http://umbraco.codeplex.com/releases/view/33743

Basically it says this: For a minor-upgrade (like you are doing), it is sufficient to copy the bin, umbraco and umbraco_client-folders

After that, change the version-number in the web.config. (No need to run the installer since there where no database changes)

HTH,

Peter

• Nicolás Lope de Barrios 21 posts 42 karma points
    Apr 06, 2010 @ 00:10
    Nicolás Lope de Barrios

Had the same problem, it was solved. Thanks!!

Detailed solution:

1. Click on Developer - Packages to generate an event
    2. Through Event Viewer on the Windows Server, Applications, I found that the \data\packages folder was empty.
    3. Copied previous versions from and old site (with created and installed folders, and their respective .config files)
    4. Problem solved.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft