Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Sebastian Gvirtzman 3 posts 23 karma points
    Nov 05, 2009 @ 23:39
    Sebastian Gvirtzman

Any problems running Umbraco under an ASP.NET Web Application Project?

Hi everyone,

I was wondering if anyone has tried running Umbraco as an ASP.NET Web Application Project, as opposed to an ASP.NET Web Site Project (which is how Umbraco is provided as a download)? My project requirements are to build a distributed enterprise application, where we will benefit from using a Web Application Project model, but I first want to make sure this is OK and that I won't run into issues down the road.

I have already converted Umbraco to run as a Web Application Project and everything seems okay, but I would like to hear from anyone else who has tried it or, alternatively, from the Umbraco team to see what they think.

Thank you very much.

Best regards,

Sebastian

• Aaron Powell 1708 posts 3046 karma points c-trib
    Nov 06, 2009 @ 00:01
    Aaron Powell

Where are you downloading Umbraco as a web site project? Umbraco is a web application (at least, v4 is).

Nov 06, 2009 @ 00:35
    Sebastian Gvirtzman

Umbraco v4 is not an ASP.NET web application project, otherwise it would include a Visual Studio project file. I'm not sure how familiar you are with development in Visual Studio, but the main different between an ASP.NET Web Site project and an ASP.NET Web Application project is that a Web Site project is based on file structure, there is no central project or namespace to form a hierarchy for the various page and control classes in the project.

Again, I am talking about Umbraco as it pertains to development within Visual Studio.

• Aaron Powell 1708 posts 3046 karma points c-trib
    Nov 06, 2009 @ 00:50
    Aaron Powell

The Umbraco release isn't anything related to Visual Studio at all, it's a collection of files which you run through IIS for a web site.

You can put these into Visual Studio in a Website project, a Web Application project or even a Class Library (if you wanted to get freaky).

Nov 06, 2009 @ 00:55
    Sebastian Gvirtzman

Well that's what I figured, but I'm having some interesting things happen running it as a web application project, i think mostly related to permissions. For example, I keep having to re-publish the entire site every once in a while to get my content to be updated in the umbraco.config file. There's also a few other quirks, but nothing I can't resolve. I posted this message just to make sure I didn't make a bad decision ;)

• Peter Gregory 408 posts 1614 karma points MVP 3x admin c-trib
    Nov 06, 2009 @ 01:14
    Peter Gregory

Permissions are still very important when including the Umbraco Binaries in a web application project.   Make sure that that you at least give the ASPNET account on the local machine in XP or NETWORK SERVICE user in VISTA and WIN7 on the local machine modify permissions to the whole directory (the quick cheats development environment) or the granular directory permissions as set out in the installation guide in the wiki.  This should solve your publishing issues.

• Bluegrass Digital 17 posts 68 karma points
    Apr 15, 2011 @ 20:24
    Bluegrass Digital

Hi Guys,

Sorry to 'jump' onto this thread, but it appeared relevant to my issues we're experiencing. We are deep into a project for a major global brand and having problems. We have Umbraco 4.5.2 setup. The client is running an environment with .net 3.5 / SQL 2005 and Windows 2008 and a Content Network Delivery (CDN) and the synchronisation of content between load balancing web servers uses DFS.

The issue is that the when the client tries to publish new content within Umbraco, it doesn't update the frontend website. Umbraco publishes as normal and saves the data (obviously to the DB) but it doesn't update the frontend. We have tried clearing Umbraco cache and rebuilding the Umbraco.config file.

If you reload IIS I think it will appear (but we don't have access to their environment - everything works fine on our staging servers), so something is caching it in their environment, is it not maybe a setting somewhere probably something like that or some code in the system files needing to change?? If anyone can help we would really appreciate it!

Thanks

Mark

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft