Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Ulla Skaanning 67 posts 97 karma points
    Nov 04, 2009 @ 11:07
    Ulla Skaanning

Can I install Umbraco on a webhotel?

Hi all,

I have been working with Umbraco as a webdesigner for a while now, and I'm very pleased with it., it's the best cms system I have encountered so far - especially for the editor using it to maintain the site forthwhile.

That is why I would like to able to offer web solutions in Umbraco CMS to my freelance clients as well, but without having to invest in server space to host their sites, as that is not a part of my strategy.

So, I'm wondering if I can install Umbraco on a webhotel, such as 'one.com', if their servers are already running ajax and so on?

I'm not a backend programmer so it is a little tricky for me to find the answer to this from the otherwise great and extensive documentation on how to install Umbraco.

Please help, cause i really want to keep working with Umbraco.

Regs Ulla :)

• Hundebol 167 posts 314 karma points
    Nov 04, 2009 @ 11:12
    Hundebol

Hi Ulla,

I can only recommend using unoeuro.com as your webhotel.

Stable, professional and with very quick & great support. And low prices too.

It is easy to install umbraco on their servers - however, you need to contact their support to get the right reading/writing permissions. That's not a problem, though; they usually answer within 5-10 minutes.

• Søren Linaa 255 posts 208 karma points
    Nov 04, 2009 @ 11:49
    Søren Linaa

Hi Ulla.

Contact Fab-IT.

They provide professional quality Umbraco hosting on dedicated servers only for Umbraco. And as a bonus some of the profit goes to the Umbraco project.

/cheers

Nov 22, 2009 @ 21:36
    Ulla Skaanning

Hi all,

Thanks for your answers, I have a Surftown webhotel now that I've tried installing Umbraco at, but it's running very badly - I constantly have trouble with it, and at the moment I'm just getting a plain 'Service unavailableø on my entire site, so I'm NOT PLEASED to tell the truth.

So I guess I'll check out the ones you've recommended and see if I can get it running smothly.

Thanks again

Sincerely 

Ulla

Nov 23, 2009 @ 14:51
    Ulla Skaanning

Hej Hundebol

Da jeg kan se du er fra Esbjerg, så jeg tager den lige på dansk :)

Jeg ville lige høre om du har mange erfaringer med det der unoeuro.com og Umbraco.

Jeg overvejer kraftigt at skifte udbyder, men vil helst ikke igennem at skift hvis ikke jeg har god basis for at forvente at det så vil køre problemfrit fremover.

Som webdesigner har jeg ikke overdrevent meget forstand på alt der der ligge bagved applicationen, så det er rart hvis jeg ikke behøver at pille for meget ved det ;)

Håber du kan hjælpe ;)

VH Ulla

• Peter Holmsgaard 69 posts 106 karma points
    Nov 24, 2009 @ 15:22
    Peter Holmsgaard

Hey Ulla,

I can also recommend azero.dk - I think you need the Firesite plus edition. My first Umbraco install went quite easy, with the help from their support :)

Haven't tried unoeurocom - but if you'll be able to install it there, that sollution would be alot cheaper ;)

/Peter

Nov 28, 2009 @ 21:27
    Ulla Skaanning

Hi all

I've checked with UnoEuro.com and they're willing to guarantee that Umbraco will run problemfree on their servers, so I think I might use them another time.

The only thing that bothers me is that they have so little space in their packages. Isn't 2GB kinda small ??

I use my site as an online portfolio where I showoff a lot of video content (or at least that's the plan once I get it all setup ;)  ), so I'm afraid I'll run out of space :S

/Cheers Ulla

• amunk 17 posts 32 karma points
    Nov 29, 2009 @ 00:13
    amunk

Hi,

I have just setup Umbraco 4 at Unoeuro.com and it seems like everything is running fine. The only thing is that you need them to set the appropriate permissions before Umbraco will run. Unoeuro has the opportunity to buy addons. I do not see additional disk space in the pricelist but try and ask them. When you look at their plans disk space is the only thing that differentiates so I think you can arrange that.

I can NOT azero.dk. I used them a couple of years ago and I will never some back.

Regards,
    Anders

• rasb 162 posts 218 karma points
    Jan 13, 2010 @ 16:35
    rasb

Hi guys,

I am going to just ask the same question. I have  a client that already has a website on one.com, and I would like port their website to an Umbraco solution since they have no idea how to update their site.

They do not wish to change webhotel, so if anyone has experience with installing Umbraco at one.com, I am listening.

Thanks,

RasB

• Henrik 5 posts 26 karma points
    Mar 09, 2010 @ 16:42
    Henrik

@Rasb

Hi, did you solve the problem?

I have the same problem regarding one.com as you, so I am interested in how to do.

Best regards

Henrik

• Lars 66 posts 136 karma points
    Dec 03, 2010 @ 11:52
    Lars

Hello

Same problem on same Unoeuro.com webhotel. Anyone knows if you can use the Web platform installer to install Umbraco directly on the Unoeuro server? If yes, screendumps of the 2 steps will be highly appreciated!

Best regards

Lars

• Daniel Horn 319 posts 344 karma points
    Dec 04, 2010 @ 00:01
    Daniel Horn

+1 for Unoeuro if it has to be cheap.

+1 for fab-it if it has to be stable and pro :-).

Just email unoeuro if you got any problems with installing umbraco, they are really good at helping out.

Dec 04, 2010 @ 14:35
    Lars

Hello Daniel. I am in contact with Unoeuro but unfortunately they answer quickly but not that helpful. Do you know if I must be able to connect from my own SQL manager to their MSSQL server?

• Daniel Horn 319 posts 344 karma points
    Dec 04, 2010 @ 20:43
    Daniel Horn

Hi Lars,

https://www.unoeuro.com/support/faq/14/78/

In their support they say that you should download the manager so I guess its possible :).

• Jan Skovgaard 11280 posts 23678 karma points MVP 10x admin c-trib
    Dec 04, 2010 @ 20:54
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Lars

If you have downloaded the umbraco binaries from codeplex you should be able to just copy/paste the folder into the root folder on the server.

Then you should be able to start installation from the browser window, once you go to your domain. However their can be some issues with permissions etc. that unoeuro needs to change for you. But once that is done it should be pretty straight forward to get it running without the need to use the MSSQL manager etc.

What kind of trouble are you having and how are you trying to install Umbraco at the moment?

/Jan

Dec 09, 2010 @ 09:59
    Lars

Hello Jan

Thank you for your answer.

First I tried the Web installer. I was able to install on the web hotel but it didn't work. I had many problems with code error so I skipped that installation.

Then I looked at http://our.umbraco.org/wiki/install-and-setup/how-to-install-umbraco-on-windows-server-2008 at the manual installation and I stopped at step 2 becourse it sounds quite complicated.

Then I re-read your message. I opened the frontpage exactly as you described it and 5 minutes later my Umbraco was running perfectly.So thank you very much :-).

Regards,

Lars

• Jan Skovgaard 11280 posts 23678 karma points MVP 10x admin c-trib
    Dec 09, 2010 @ 19:55
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Lars

Happy to hear you got it working.

Usually when you're installing on a webhost on shared hosting you won't have access to the server. Therefore you can't use the installation guide or the web installer.

They are handy when you're 100% in charge of things installing on a localhost or a dedicated server etc.

/Jan

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft