Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• amunk 17 posts 32 karma points
    Oct 31, 2009 @ 13:28
    amunk

Umbraco and server timezone

I am using Umbraco 4 for a website towards danish users. My hosting provider, http://softsyshosting.com/, is located in the US. How do I adjust for the offset between the timezones?

I would like the opportinuty to set i.e. publication datetime in local time.

Am I the only user having this requirement or how do you deal with this?

• Stephan Lonntorp 195 posts 212 karma points
    Oct 31, 2009 @ 15:49
    Stephan Lonntorp

You could compare the datetimeoffset for the the dates published, and compare them to the dates in the client. Or, simpler, remove the number of hours with AddHours(int hours), i.e AddHours(-6), on the dates in question, when rendering them in XSLT.

However, if your target audience is located in denmark, I'd place the site there as well, you'll get so much better performance.

• amunk 17 posts 32 karma points
    Oct 31, 2009 @ 18:18
    amunk

Thanks - but can you modify how the published datatime i rendered/edited in the backend?

I would love to host in Denmark but hosting with support for Full Trust is rare.

• Stephan Lonntorp 195 posts 212 karma points
    Nov 01, 2009 @ 12:00
    Stephan Lonntorp

You could write an eventhandler, that automatically modifies the time to match CET (GMT+1), but I don't know how you could modify it visually to the end-user.

There are plenty of good hosting companies in, or near, Denmark, that provides Full Trust. I know that the umbraco team supports Fab-IT.dk, and I've personally used Strongbox (a Swedish hosting provider, strongbox.se) for several Umbraco sites. As far as I know, neither of them are very expensive, so they would fit most smaller businesses. I've never used Fab-IT myself, but from what I hear, they're good.

• Matt Taylor 873 posts 2086 karma points
    Jul 27, 2010 @ 11:36
    Matt Taylor

I've come across a few posts now relating to this issue and I'm suffering it myself with a site I have hosted in the US.

My content editors are in the UK and when they set publish/unpublish dates for content they expect it to be for UK time but of course things all happen a few hours later. I don't really want to have to tell them they need to adjust the times they enter.

Seems like quite a common requirement to have a time offset setting in Umbraco. Has this been addressed yet in the latest version or do I still need to look into how to create an action handler?

Regards,

Matt

• Heather Floyd 605 posts 1003 karma points MVP 5x c-trib
    Jul 29, 2010 @ 00:25
    Heather Floyd

You might want to take a look at http://creativeminds.dk/umbraco-packages/timezoneselector

I'm not sure if it will help, but worth checking out.

• Matt Taylor 873 posts 2086 karma points
    Jul 29, 2010 @ 10:33
    Matt Taylor

Thanks for that Heather.

I've had a look at the link and it looks interesting. Information on how it may be used is a bit thin.

If it's a datatype I wouldn't want to have to add it to all my data items and have the editors configure it for each content item. That's probably just me being dumb.

I'm hoping there's more info in the zip package which I'm unable to download right now.

Thanks, Matt

• Steen Tøttrup 191 posts 291 karma points c-trib
    Dec 07, 2010 @ 14:09
    Steen Tøttrup

I'm sorry for the lack of information in the package, and no, it is not going to help you with this particular problem.

It was meant as a method for getting the correct date/time on the website. Unfortunately you can not set a timezone on a user of the back office, and then have the back office show the correct date/time.

Well, I can't find a solution, it might be there somewhere.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft