Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Vladimir 6 posts 26 karma points
    Sep 09, 2009 @ 14:28
    Vladimir

Login failed for user 'DBUSER'.

Hello All!

I have susccesfully installed Umbraco 4.0.2.1 on Win XP + IIS 5.1 + MS SQL Express 2005

But when I'm trying to launch Umbraco I get the following error:

Server Error in '/Umbraco' Application.

Login failed for user 'DBUSER'.

Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the error and where it originated in the code.

Exception Details: System.Data.SqlClient.SqlException: Login failed for user 'DBUSER'.

Source Error:

An unhandled exception was generated during the execution of the current web request. Information regarding the origin and location of the exception can be identified using the exception stack trace below.

Stack Trace:

[SqlException (0x80131904): Login failed for user 'DBUSER'.]
       System.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionPool.GetConnection(DbConnection owningObject) +428
       System.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionFactory.GetConnection(DbConnection owningConnection) +65
       System.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionClosed.OpenConnection(DbConnection outerConnection, DbConnectionFactory connectionFactory) +117
       System.Data.SqlClient.SqlConnection.Open() +122
       Microsoft.ApplicationBlocks.Data.SqlHelper.ExecuteReader(String connectionString, CommandType commandType, String commandText, SqlParameter[] commandParameters) +65
       umbraco.DataLayer.SqlHelpers.SqlServer.SqlServerHelper.ExecuteReader(String commandText, SqlParameter[] parameters) +37
       umbraco.DataLayer.SqlHelper`1.ExecuteReader(String commandText, IParameter[] parameters) +68

[SqlHelperException: Umbraco Exception (DataLayer): SQL helper exception in ExecuteReader]
       umbraco.DataLayer.SqlHelper`1.ExecuteReader(String commandText, IParameter[] parameters) +126
       umbraco.BusinessLogic.User.setupUser(Int32 ID) +132
       umbraco.BusinessLogic.User..ctor(Int32 ID) +101
       umbraco.BusinessLogic.User.GetUser(Int32 id) +89
       umbraco.BusinessLogic.User.GetCurrent() +46
       umbraco.BasePages.UmbracoEnsuredPage.get_CurrentUser() +5
       umbraco.presentation.LiveEditing.DefaultLiveEditingContext.get_Enabled() +27
       umbraco.presentation.LiveEditing.DefaultLiveEditingContext..ctor() +41
       umbraco.presentation.UmbracoContext.get_LiveEditingContext() +69
       umbraco.UmbracoDefault.Page_PreInit(Object sender, EventArgs e) +58
       System.Web.Util.CalliHelper.EventArgFunctionCaller(IntPtr fp, Object o, Object t, EventArgs e) +14
       System.Web.Util.CalliEventHandlerDelegateProxy.Callback(Object sender, EventArgs e) +35
       System.EventHandler.Invoke(Object sender, EventArgs e) +0
       System.Web.UI.Page.OnPreInit(EventArgs e) +8698174
       System.Web.UI.Page.PerformPreInit() +31
       System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain(Boolean includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint) +282

Version Information: Microsoft .NET Framework Version:2.0.50727.3082; ASP.NET Version:2.0.50727.3082

Any ideas how to fix?

Thanks in advance!

• Ron Brouwer 273 posts 768 karma points
    Sep 09, 2009 @ 16:38
    Ron Brouwer

How did you install?

Have you run the install steps of umbraco?
    Do you have an user with sufficient access in your db called 'DBUSER'?

Ron

Sep 09, 2009 @ 16:52
    Vladimir

I configured MS SQL and IIS as described in the "Install umbraco 4 on Windows Vista" document (except Vista-only steps).

Then I successfully configured Umbraco itself (throug web configuration wizard). 

I haven't 'DBUSER' in my db, I used the same as in the doc ('umbracoUser'), I've checked 'web.config' -  the connection string configured to use my user.

I'm really surprised that Umbraco tries to connect to db as 'DBUSER'.

Sep 09, 2009 @ 17:01
    Ron Brouwer

Can you send an example of that part of your web.config

Sep 09, 2009 @ 17:14
    Vladimir

Here it is

<add key="umbracoDbDSN" value="server=.\sqlexpress;database=UmbracoCMS;user id=umbracoUser;password=***" />

• Sjors Pals 617 posts 270 karma points
    Sep 09, 2009 @ 17:39
    Sjors Pals

Try to login with those credentials in SqlServer, and see or you have access...

Sep 09, 2009 @ 17:43
    Vladimir

Already checked. Access allowed.

Sep 09, 2009 @ 17:52
    Ron Brouwer

Have you tried restarting your app? It seems umbraco is using an old connectionstring.

Sep 09, 2009 @ 18:03
    Sjors Pals

What you can do is open Visual Studio

Go to Tools

-Connect to database, give credentials, and select your umbraco db, then click advanced, there you find the connectionstring you can use

• Douglas Robar 3570 posts 4711 karma points MVP ∞ admin c-trib
    Sep 09, 2009 @ 20:58
    Douglas Robar

The important thing when testing a connection to SQL server is to go to the advanced options and select 'TCP/IP' as the connection mechanism (that's what umbraco uses). By default, SQL Server does not enable tcp/ip connections. And, by default, when you log in to management studio you will be using named pipes, which umbraco doesn't use.

So, my guess is that you simply need to enable tcp/ip connection in sql server.

Let us know what you find out.

cheers,
    doug.

Sep 10, 2009 @ 09:32
    Sjors Pals

Good point Douglas, i think this is the most logic problem.

Sep 10, 2009 @ 10:11
    Vladimir

TCP/IP is the only protocol enabled for my server.

The main question is why does Umbraco connect as 'DBUSER' but not as the user specified in the Web.config?

• Peter Dijksterhuis 1442 posts 1722 karma points
    Sep 10, 2009 @ 11:21
    Peter Dijksterhuis

Do you have a virtual directory somehow that holds a different web.config? Looks like there still is an original web.config that has the default username and password.

Sep 10, 2009 @ 22:04
    Vladimir

You are right Peter!

First time I tried to install Umbraco in the virtual directory and call it 'umbraco'. Then I copied Umbraco to the root but forgot remove virtual dir. 

So during installation it uses correct web.config, but at the launch time it requests 'umbraco' direcotry and hits virtual directory with default web config.

Thanks Peter and everybody for support.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft