Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Garry Bain 149 posts 124 karma points
    Sep 09, 2009 @ 12:32
    Garry Bain

Hosting umbraco sites using Windows server 2003 web edition

Hello everyone,

I am setting up a development server for Umbraco sites on my desktop, which currently has 1gb of RAM and a 3ghz processor. I am going to install Windows Server 2003 web edition - but I was wondering if there are any known implications for using this server to host Umbraco sites on? Has anyone else used this before to host sites?

I basically need to host multiple sites in their own app pool - hence why Im using IIS6 that comes with the we edition - but thats as far as my knowledge goes for windows hosting. Any advice or recommendations would be fantastic.

Cheers, Garry.

• Petr Snobelt 923 posts 1535 karma points
    Sep 09, 2009 @ 12:38
    Petr Snobelt

I use windows server 2003 web edition without problems.

But 2003 is little outdated, there is 2008 R2 which enable hosting asp.net sites in core mode (without desktop), I can't wait to test it :-)

Sep 09, 2009 @ 12:40
    Garry Bain

The computer Im using is limited to th 1gb of ram and I noticed the spec for Windows Server 2008 was a "recommended 2GB of ram"  - it is only a development server so I don't mind it being a little dated as long as the functionality remains and I can host multiple sites at the same time.

• Tim 225 posts 690 karma points
    Sep 09, 2009 @ 12:41
    Tim

Hi,

Our internal development server is of a similar spec (in fact less well specced than yours!)

It works perfectly as an Umbraco host. The only implication that I'm aware of is that you can't have a full version of SQL Server running on the box, SQL Server Express is fine (which is what we use for Umbraco as it's SQL requirements are very lightweight). Or you could run a separate DB server, but this a bit of overkill for a development environment I suspect!

Other than that everything is perfect.

Tim

Sep 09, 2009 @ 12:47
    Garry Bain

I'm pretty sure I'm running SQL Express on the desktop at the moment (currently using IIS on XP) - I'll go ahead and install the web edition then - thanks for your help, much appreciated.

Sep 09, 2009 @ 12:47
    Garry Bain

I'm pretty sure I'm running SQL Express on the desktop at the moment (currently using IIS on XP) - I'll go ahead and install the web edition then - thanks for your help, much appreciated.

• nedshu 1 post 21 karma points
    Oct 22, 2011 @ 01:46
    nedshu

Hello everyone,

I've just built a website with the startkits of Umbraco. It runs fine on local machine. When I have hosted it on the HP mediasmart machine I can just not browse it.  I've hosted it via the IIS manager 6 of the window home server 2003. On the host machine it runs OK when I start the website whith MS Webmatrix. Here under is the error message. Can anybody help me?

Server Error in '/' Application.

Runtime Error

<!-- Web.Config Configuration File -->

<configuration>
        <system.web>
            <customErrors mode="Off"/>
        </system.web>
    </configuration>

Notes: The current error page you are seeing can be replaced by a custom error page by modifying the "defaultRedirect" attribute of the application's <customErrors> configuration tag to point to a custom error page URL.

<!-- Web.Config Configuration File -->

<configuration>
        <system.web>
            <customErrors mode="RemoteOnly" defaultRedirect="mycustompage.htm"/>
        </system.web>
    </configuration>

• Chris Randle 67 posts 181 karma points c-trib
    Oct 22, 2011 @ 02:35
    Chris Randle

Hi nedshu

That error message is a generic one. What you need to do in order to get the real error message is disable custom errors. As the first section says, change the custom errors to off by locating the configuration/system.web/customErrors line and changing the line as suggested, to off. Do as suggested and you should be able to find out the exact problem (usually a runtime code issue). 

I can tell that you are new to ASP.NET in general if this is the first time you have come across this error message, but I can honestly say you've picked the right place to learn - certainly the right CMS to learn with! 

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft