Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Torben Rügge 27 posts 47 karma points
    Sep 04, 2009 @ 17:13
    Torben Rügge

Access to tmp file to update web.config during first time installation

Step 2/5: Database configuration

Database configuration

To complete this step, you must know some information regarding your database server ("connection string").
    Please contact your ISP if necessary. If you're installing on a local machine or server you might need information from your system administrator.

If you do not have any database available, you can choose the embedded database which does not require any information from your ISP or system administrators, and will install right away.

Could not save the web.config file. Please modify the connection string manually. An error occurred loading a configuration file: Access to the path 'C:\inetpub\wwwroot\bfdhrw3w.tmp' is denied. (C:\inetpub\wwwroot\web.config)

Can anyone tell me which user needs which access rights and how to set them up, please

Kind regards

Torben

Complete newbie to Umbraco

• Jan Skovgaard 11280 posts 23678 karma points MVP 10x admin c-trib
    Sep 04, 2009 @ 22:19
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Torben

I think it's because you need to give write permissions to the ASP.NET user. But I'm not quite sure.

/Jan

Sep 04, 2009 @ 22:22
    Jan Skovgaard

However you could also open the web.config file and modify the connection string in the following line:

<add key="umbracoDbDSN" value="server=yourdatabaseserver;database=yourdatabasename;user id=youruser;password=yourpassword;datalayer=yourdatalayer" />

/Jan

• Resonance 3 posts 23 karma points
    Sep 04, 2009 @ 23:29
    Resonance

I had the same problem a few days ago and I added read and write access for the network service on the  root folder (which is wwwroot for me). I'm a newbie too though so not sure if this is right although Umbraco seems to be working fine with no issues at the moment.

Sep 05, 2009 @ 00:10
    Torben Rügge

Dear all of tou who have responded to my query:

1) NETWORK SERVICE already has read and write access. So that doesn't change things.

2) RESPONSE TO Jan Skovgaard: I have difficulty in ientifying the string,whichto change : I have a string in web.config that reads:

<

add key="umbracoDbDSN" value="datalayer=SqlServer;server=.\sqlexpress;database=DATABASE;user id=DBUSER;password=PASSWORD"

/>

Isthis the one you suggest me to change? I am not sure aboutwhat to do about the "datalayer......." part of the string.

3) To Jan again: ASP.NET is not recognised as a valid user

andonce again: thanks for taking time to help me, and this applies to all of you.

Bes regards

Torben

Sep 05, 2009 @ 00:37
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Torben

Yes that is the string I'm thinking of.

Don't worry about the "datalayer" part - It's set to sqlserver by default and I'm asuming you are using MSSQL as the database server. As long as you are doing so don't worry more about that.

You just need to fill in the name of your mssql server, name of the database and the username and password for it.

About the ASP.NET user...then it's the network service you should give the write permissions as Resonance is suggesting.

If you have succes adding the write permissions for the network service then it's not neccesary for you to modify the connection string in the web.config file. But if you don't succeed you need to fill it out.

I hope it all makes sense :)

/Jan

Sep 05, 2009 @ 10:42
    Torben Rügge

Hi Jan,

If I try to modify web.config manually, f.ex. by editing it in Visual Web Developer then I cannot save the file. Again I have no access.
    When looking at web.config properties the following users have write access: SYSTEM, NETWORK SERVICE, Administrators, TrustedInstaller and DefaultAppPool,  

When again looking at web.config properties it says on the General Tab (at the botom): This file came from another computer and might be blocked to help protect this computer . There is an Unblock button that I press, but displaying the Tab again it is still marked as blocked. Again I suppose I have no right to "manipulate" the file properties

BTW, this is all on a Windows 7 opsys

Kind regards

Torben

Sep 05, 2009 @ 12:50
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Torben

I have no experience with windows 7 yet so I'm sure about what could be the problem.

But it seems strange that you cannot edit/modify the web.config if you set the permissions. Have you also set permissions for the IUSR_(Something) ?

And are you the administrator of the system?

/Jan

Sep 06, 2009 @ 12:40
    Torben Rügge

Hi again,

I wrote (or at least I tried to) to you last night, but evidently I did something wrong. It never got submitted correctly.

However, I have given myself (tor\TORBEN5) write rights to inetpub, wwwroot, umbraco and web.config and I have now manually changed the connection string.

This was, however the 2nd step of 5 in the db configuration in the overall installation procedure.

As I do not know the page name for step 3 I may be stuck.

Any ideas?

Kind regards

Torben

Sep 06, 2009 @ 18:39
    Torben Rügge

To continue from my last submision:

step 3: Validating File Permissions: seems a rather important step considering what I have been through

step 4: change the pw for "admin"

step 5: Install "Boost"

Boost seems to be a small extra that installs a primitive website with a few pages. But this might be good to build on top of????

I also came across a thing called Creative Website Starter, which seems to be better than Boost for setting up a starting point to build from.

Love to hear comments on these issues.

Kind regards

Torben

Sep 06, 2009 @ 19:06
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Torben

I guess you have managed to get Umbraco installed now?

I would recommend using the Creative Website Starter package as a foundation for exploring how Umbraco works. It does a great job of displaying the various possibilities Umbraco offers.

May I ask, which version of Umbraco you have just installed? I think that Boost was actually renamed to "Runway" but besides that the package should, as far as I know, contain the same foundation.

I would recommend using this when you are in a hurry and just need to do a quick demo of Umbraco for a customer for instance.

I hope these comments are what you where expecting.

/Jan

Sep 06, 2009 @ 21:37
    Torben Rügge

Hi Jan,

I am amazed at the rate of response here. thank you very much.

I do not, however, feel as confident as you depict.

I am not yet in a position to start considering installing Creative Website Starter package.

As I see it I still do not have a running installation of Umbraco.

I need somehow to complete the last three steps I mentioned above of the installation procedure, before I get to a point, where I can look at installing CWS.

I think that if I d oNOT complete these three steps I cannot getto a point where I can begin installing CWS.

Am I wrong in thinking that?????

/Torben

Sep 06, 2009 @ 21:46
    Torben Rügge

I seem to have a problem understanding how to submit to this forum.

I just wrote a lengthy line about your response and again, like yesterday it sems as if I submit it and yet it doesn't get submitted. So here goes once again:

Thanks very much for your prompt response and this on a Sunday as well. You are a kind person, Jan.

I do not feel that I am in a position to start implementing the Creative Website Starter package. I feel I need to complete the last steps 3-5 of the db installation procedure.

I am not yet at a point, where I can begin to install the CWS (even if I would love to, right now), I wouldn't know how to begin, as I feel stuck in step 2 of the db insgallation procedure, an not knowing how to proceed from there, even if I have mangaged to modify the connection strng in web.config manually.

Can you guide me, please

Best regards

Torben

Sep 07, 2009 @ 10:44
    Torben Rügge

Somehow my topic is marked as "Solved"

It is not.

I need to find out who (which user) is the one that during installation wants to update web.config.

Sorry if the history of the previous 12 forum entries has been lost somehow.

I cannot get past stage 2 of 5 in the database instalation procedure

I have amended the web.config manually, but I still need to get past stage 2 to set up the contents of the mbracoCMS db.

Kind regards

TOrben

• Thomas Kahn 602 posts 506 karma points
    Jan 04, 2010 @ 10:54
    Thomas Kahn

Hi Torben!

I'm experiencing the exact same problem and have started a new thread where I want to find out what the problem is and how it can be solved.

Regards,
    Thomas Kahn

• Jamie Howarth 306 posts 773 karma points c-trib
    Jan 04, 2010 @ 11:13
    Jamie Howarth

Hi Torben,

Please see this thread regarding Server 2008, which also applies to IIS on Windows 7. Would advise others read it as it's a nasty little snagging point in IIS that they neglect to tell you - application pool identity is not NETWORK SERVICE by default!

Benjamin

• Hywel Bromby 33 posts 63 karma points
    Aug 15, 2012 @ 23:53
    Hywel Bromby

I have found a work around. Update your web.config mannually and then on the install screen, use a CUSTOM VALUE and input the connection string HEY PRESTO!

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft