Gordon Saxby

Manage Hostnames not working on 4.11.4

I have setup Umbraco the same way as I always do -

Content
    -- Website
    -- -- Home
    -- -- About us
    -- -- etc...

and added the domain name to "Home" via Manage Hostnames. With v4.7 that works fine and all pages work. However, with 4.11.4, only the home page works, all others give a 404 error. Clicking the preview button does work though.

Is this a bug, have I set it up wrong, have I missed a setting somewhere?

I guess I could put all pages under the Home page node, but that doesn't seem right to me!

• Rasmus Fjord 675 posts 1566 karma points c-trib
    Feb 28, 2013 @ 13:43
    Rasmus Fjord

Sholdnt the domain be set upon the node "website" ?

If you set hostname upon "Home" then www.yourdomain.com/about-us.aspx wont work.

• Gordon Saxby 1444 posts 1855 karma points
    Feb 28, 2013 @ 13:50
    Gordon Saxby

If I was to take that option, then I would set it on "Home" and then put all other content pages underneath "Home". That is an option but not the one I want to use ... it used to work in 4.7, as I quite often have a "Website" node to contain the website pages and then other nodes at the top level that contain settings, reusable content, etc.

I have checked all settings of this new site (4.11.4) against an existing in-production website running 4.7.1.1 and they are the same, as far as I can see. So, unless I am missing something, that leads me to believe the Umbraco core functionality has changed.

• Stephen 767 posts 2273 karma points c-trib
    Feb 28, 2013 @ 13:52
    Stephen

if you set domain "domain.com" on "home" then "domain.com" should point to "home", and "domain.com/about-us" points to nowhere because "home" has no child named "about-us".

So you'll want to set "domain.com" on "website" so "domain.com/about-us" points to "about-us". But then the url of "home" becomes "domain.com/home"... usually people address this either by making "website" the home, or by putting an internal redirect on "website" so it renders "home".

Making sense?

Feb 28, 2013 @ 13:55
    Gordon Saxby

FYI - here is a screen grab of the v4.7 site - 

"Website" contains all of the content pages, with Home and other top level pages on the same level.

• Rasmus Fjord 675 posts 1566 karma points c-trib
    Feb 28, 2013 @ 14:00
    Rasmus Fjord

I would agree with stephen and put your domain upon "website". Then on the "website" doctype i would use the brilliant "umbracoInternalRedirect" special alias. 

If you dont know umbracoInternalRedirect then take a look here :

http://our.umbraco.org/wiki/reference/umbraco-best-practices/umbracointernalredirectid

It renders another node at the currents nodes position.

Feb 28, 2013 @ 14:04
    Gordon Saxby

Stephen - the method I have described (my preferred option) worked in v4.7 ... I can let you log onto the live site to see, if that helps!

If it is now necessary for me to arrange my nodes differently (i.e. all content under "home") then I will have to ... I would just like to confirm whether this is a change made on purpose, or a bug (?) that was fixed or indeed if my method as described should still work.

Feb 28, 2013 @ 14:07
    Stephen

@Gordon, this is a change made on purpose, in order to fix some bugs and non-rational behavior issues with hostnames.

Now, if you set a hostname on a node, then all nodes below than node belong to the "site" defined by the hostnames, but sibling nodes do not.

So yes, some things that did work "by accident" but could lead to great confusion in 4.7 work differently in 4.11.

Hope it's not too much of an issue for you?

Feb 28, 2013 @ 14:32
    Gordon Saxby

OK, at least I know I'm not going mad ;-)

What version was this change implemented in?

• Bob 10 posts 30 karma points
    Apr 08, 2013 @ 23:58
    Bob

This seems to have broken us as well. There is no way we can upgrade to 4.11 with this hidden 'fix'.

Our current setup is 

Content/master/*  contains about-us, etc, most of our website except for:

Content/stores/* which contains each individual store's page

Content/products/* which contains each major product we sell.

Before 4.11 our hostnames (a variety of them) pointed to various nodes but now anytime we try to go to store-22 (which is the umbraco link to our /stores/store for store 22) we get a 404.

Is there a workaround for this? I'd hate to have to rearrange our content nodes and then rearrange every XPATH we have just because the Umbraco crew decided to tweak something in their latest build. I tried changing our domainRootStructureIDs all to -1 to see if that worked but it was a no-go. Was hoping I could reference the root node and at least get our stores/ children and products/ children displaying without 404s.

Apr 09, 2013 @ 16:16
    Stephen

@Bob - if I understand correctly, you have the following structure:

Content
    - master
    - - about-us
    - - something-else
    - stores
    - - store 01
    - - store 02
    - - store 22
    - product
    - - product 01
    - - product 02
    - - product 03

Is that correct?

Then what I'm not sure I understand is, where (ie on which nodes) do you setup your domains?

It looks like you would like www.store-22.com to render page /stores/store 22 but have www.store-22.com/about-us to render page /master/about-us and www.store-22.com/product/product 02 to render /products/product 02. Is that correct?

Stephan -- the one who broke the thing, and will hopefully figure out a way to make you happy.

• Bob 10 posts 30 karma points
    Apr 18, 2013 @ 16:55
    Bob

Stephen, that is exactly it. But it might be better if I gave you our exact issue. I renamed some things in my post so as not to post internal company info on the web. :)

Would you mind if I emailed you? You can reach me at [email protected]

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft