I just published a site on my webserver, but I'm getting this YSOD:

Could not load type 'umbraco.presentation.config.splashes.noNodes'

anyone familiar with this error?

thanks for your help,

Anthony

• Anthony Candaele 1197 posts 2049 karma points
    Nov 22, 2012 @ 21:20
    Anthony Candaele

I wonder if the problem, mentioned above, might have something to do with the content structure of my multilanguage site.

I have set up two language-nodes (en-us and il-he) that function as homepage for each language version of the website:

the hostname for the English version is test.energypartner.co.il/en-us and the hostname for the Hebrew version is test.energypartner.co.il/he-il

Both language nodes are direct under the 'Content' node.

thanks for your help,

Anthony

Nov 22, 2012 @ 21:45
    Anthony Candaele

I can't even login to the Umbraco Backoffice. I really don't have a clue at the moment : (

• Stephen 767 posts 2273 karma points c-trib
    Nov 23, 2012 @ 08:19
    Stephen

Some DLL missing in ~/bin? Umbraco should be able to find the ...noNodes type, it's a built-in thing. So if it's missing then parts of Umbraco are missing, which would also explain why the backoffice does not work...

Nov 23, 2012 @ 08:45
    Anthony Candaele

Hi Stephen,

Thanks for your advice. However, the website does work on my dev machine. I just ftp'd the webfolder to my server.

In the error message the server seems to look for the noNodes.aspx file. So maybe it has something to do with the fact that the nodes are not published.

An other thing I'm starting to wonder about, this is an Umbraco 4.10.0 website. Maybe the issue has something to do with that?

The other thing I'm thinking about is the multilanguage structure in my Content Section:

Content
    - en-US (hostname: test.energypartner.co.il/en-us)
    -- page 1
    -- page 2
    - he-IL (hostname: test.energypartner.co.il/he-il)
    -- page 1
    -- page 2

I read somewhere that the first node under content should always point to '/'

Currently I'm a bit lost in here, appreciate your help.

Anthony 

Nov 23, 2012 @ 08:55
    Stephen

Umbraco looks for "no nodes" when there are no nodes published. Do you have at least one node published? But the error message states that, while looking for the "no nodes" page (which says, you have no node) Umbraco failed to find some core components. And to the best of my knowledge, that should work in 4.10.

So maybe can you check with FTP that everything has been transfered correctly to you server?

Your multilingual structure looks nice, the only thing you probably want to add is a page at the top of the tree with hostname "test.energypartner.co.il" that could let users choose their language (or redirect automatically to whatever language is the default one). The fact that the first node under content points to / applies when there are no domains defined, but not in your case since you defined hostnames.

Nov 23, 2012 @ 19:42
    Anthony Candaele

Hi Stephen,

After a first examination, it seems that the umbraco.Xml file in the /App_Data isn't transfered along with the other files to the server. So I ftp'd the umbraco.Xml file to the server and put it in the App_Data folder. 

To my big surprise though, when I checked afterwards in the App_Data file, the umbraco.Xml file is missing again.

I really don't have a clue what's going on.

Hopefully someone else experienced this issue and can tell me what the problem is.

Thanks for your advice,

Anthony

Nov 23, 2012 @ 20:04
    Stephen

Are you talking about the umbraco.config file? You don't need to transfer it, Umbraco will (re)create it anyway from the database.

Nov 24, 2012 @ 08:23
    Anthony Candaele

pfff, this kind of starts to getting me nuts, still the same error:

"Could not load type 'umbraco.presentation.config.splashes.noNodes'"

I'm starting to wonder if this could have anything to do with the pipeline that has been rewritten for Umbraco 4.10.0

In the meantime I upgraded website to Umbraco 4.11.0 in the hope that might solve the issue, but no luck. Always that same error :(

I'm really stuck for the moment.

greetings,

Anthony

Nov 24, 2012 @ 09:06
    Anthony Candaele

I just found out that with my last deployment, I forgot to set the database in the sqlconnectionstring to the correct database. But this doesn't matter a thing, still getting the same old error message:

"Could not load type 'umbraco.presentation.config.splashes.noNodes'"

I'm also wondering if it could have anything to do with the A-record 'test' I set up two days ago. But then, If the problem would be situated with the A-record, I wouldn't get to that Umbraco error page at all would I ?

I did check for the noNodes.aspx page. It's there under /config/splashes

greetings,

Anthony

Nov 24, 2012 @ 09:23
    Anthony Candaele

... and we have lift-off :)

Just found the issue: the sqlconnection string was pointing to: server=databaseserver\sqlexpress ....

just removed the sqlexpress part in the sqlconnection string and everything works fine !

phew

Nov 24, 2012 @ 10:10
    Stephen

Great you solved your issue. However the message you got just because the connection string wasn't pointing to the right place is... crypting?!

Something's obviously broken here and I'll have a look at it asap.

Stephan

Nov 24, 2012 @ 10:31
    Anthony Candaele

Hi Stephen,

yup, easy enough to test, just put \SqlExpres in the nane of your databaseserver of your connectionstring and you should get the same error message as I got.

I have another question. In your former post, you told me it would be better to have a page with the hostname test.energypartner.co.il at the top of the tree, to enable visitors to choose a language version.

But if you surf to my multilanguage website: http://test.energypartner.co.il you can select a language version on every page of the website. So why should I need this test.energypartner.co.il page at the top of my tree?

greetings,

Anthony

Nov 24, 2012 @ 16:49
    Stephen

Tested here with a random connection string and I have the proper "Looks like there's still work to do" page. So it works on my side. Furthermore, what I don't understand is that looking at the noNodes.aspx page that causes the error on your side... the reference to noNodes.aspx.cs has been removed in 4.9 about 3 months ago, and neither 4.10 nor 4.10.1 nor 4.11 reference noNodes.aspx.cs...

So I think you have an issue with the way files are copied to your server, and the file ~/config/splashes/noNodes.aspx is too old / has not been updated. Have a look at it. If it contains CodeBehind="noNodes.aspx.cs" then you have a corrupted install.

Nov 25, 2012 @ 17:50
    Anthony Candaele

Hi Stephen

Thanks for pointing me to this issue. I checked the noNodes.aspx file and it contained indeed the CodeBehind="noNodes.aspx.cs" reference.

I replaced the whole /splashes folder with the /splashes folder from the latest 4.11.0 release.

greetings,

Anthony

• Adin 11 posts 31 karma points
    Apr 09, 2013 @ 11:04
    Adin

I had the same problem and turns out it was bad connection string.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft