Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Simon 81 posts 184 karma points
    Oct 31, 2012 @ 12:58
    Simon

Can't install Umbraco 4.9 from Web Platform installer

Why?

Why can I not change the database server, or the account name when installing 4.9 from Web Platform Installer?

It's really, really stupid hardcoding in the sa account name and the database server. Why can we not change these?

Anyone got a work around - other than setting up a database server - just the way Umbraco wants it? I've used Umbrao a lot (V4.7) and have never had this problem. Nothing's changed on this dev machine and I have numerous 4.7 installs on it already.

Anyone got any ideas? As the installer just stops if it can't connect to the database server - because the hardcoded in values don't exist!

A very frustrated Simon

• Mark Bennett 199 posts 375 karma points
    Oct 31, 2012 @ 18:03
    Mark Bennett

Simon,

Can you install manually rather than using the web platform installer?

Mark.

• Simon 81 posts 184 karma points
    Oct 31, 2012 @ 18:10
    Simon

Hi Mark,

Thanks for the response - I didn't bother with 4.9 in the end - I copied an existing 4.7 install I had on the system, created a new database and overwrote it from a working backup of the Umbraco database. Changed the connection string to point to the new database and then logged in to the Umbraco CMS and deleted document types etc. so I had a clean install.

I really like Umbraco and I've used it on a number of projects but I get really annoyed with the stupid bugs like this we see getting pushed out into production. Come on Umbraco - how about a bit more testing please?

Simon

• Mark Bennett 199 posts 375 karma points
    Oct 31, 2012 @ 18:16
    Mark Bennett

Simon,

No worries on the response. I know what you mean about the bugs it is why I tend to only scout through the installing umbraco thread as I believe your first contact with a product shouldn't be that the installation is a right pain in the arse or just doesn't do as you expect.

I nearly gave up with Umbraco to start off with due to the installer not letting me connect through to the DB I created. Now I always just install and configure manually.

Glad you got it sorted anway ;)

Mark..

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft