Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Eric Siebeneck 26 posts 46 karma points
    Aug 21, 2012 @ 16:25
    Eric Siebeneck

Blog questions/issues

We have Umbraco v 4.7.0 installed and have a few questions/issues with the blog. First we see that there is an option to allow comments, but are not sure where the comments are sent. Where can we see and approve submitted comments? Also, a few of the xslt files are showing errors. For example Blogpages.xslt is showing the following:

Error occured

System.OverflowException: Value was either too large or too small for an Int32.
    at System.Convert.ToInt32(Double value)
    at System.Double.System.IConvertible.ToInt32(IFormatProvider provider)
    at System.Convert.ChangeType(Object value, Type conversionType, IFormatProvider provider)
    at System.Xml.Xsl.Runtime.XmlQueryRuntime.ChangeTypeXsltArgument(XmlQueryType xmlType, Object value, Type destinationType)
    at System.Xml.Xsl.Runtime.XmlQueryContext.InvokeXsltLateBoundFunction(String name, String namespaceUri, IList`1[] args)
    at (XmlQueryRuntime {urn:schemas-microsoft-com:xslt-debug}runtime, IList`1 parent)
    at Root(XmlQueryRuntime {urn:schemas-microsoft-com:xslt-debug}runtime)
    at Execute(XmlQueryRuntime {urn:schemas-microsoft-com:xslt-debug}runtime)
    at System.Xml.Xsl.XmlILCommand.Execute(Object defaultDocument, XmlResolver dataSources, XsltArgumentList argumentList, XmlSequenceWriter results)
    at System.Xml.Xsl.XmlILCommand.Execute(Object defaultDocument, XmlResolver dataSources, XsltArgumentList argumentList, XmlWriter writer)
    at System.Xml.Xsl.XslCompiledTransform.Transform(IXPathNavigable input, XsltArgumentList arguments, XmlWriter results, XmlResolver documentResolver)
    at System.Xml.Xsl.XslCompiledTransform.Transform(IXPathNavigable input, XsltArgumentList arguments, TextWriter results)
    at umbraco.presentation.webservices.codeEditorSave.SaveXslt(String fileName, String oldName, String fileContents, Boolean ignoreDebugging)

On the public end, there is nothing listed under Pages, which I'm assuming is related to the errors with this file. Other xslt files that appear to be showing errors (perhaps out dated or not compatible with this version) are: BlogCategories.xslt, BlogLatestComments.xslt, Blogpages.xslt, BlogRssFeedlink.xslt and BlogTagcloud.xslt. Could someone post updated xslt files for me to update these? Please note that I am not an app developer and I do not know how to write xslt.

Aug 23, 2012 @ 16:23
    Eric Siebeneck

Anyone...? Please help.

• Richard Soeteman 4035 posts 12842 karma points MVP
    Aug 23, 2012 @ 16:31
    Richard Soeteman

Did you start with the Blog StarterKit? I've never used it but most people are using UBlogsy these days much more stable then any other Blog solution.

http://our.umbraco.org/projects/starter-kits/ublogsy

Hope this helps you,

Richard

Aug 23, 2012 @ 17:18
    Eric Siebeneck

Thanks Richard,

I downloaded the uBlogsy, which is actually for v 4.7.1 and higher. The client site is in v 4.7.0... so it of course is giving me errors (several places on the page say "Error loading Razor Script....."). Our IT Director isn't sure about the best way to upgrade the site (previous attempts had issues). Is there a stable version for 4.7.0?

• Funka! 398 posts 661 karma points
    Aug 23, 2012 @ 18:06
    Funka!

Just to chime in with an alternative, have you considered using a third-party commenting system, such as DISQUS? We recently did a uBlogsy installation but ended up ripping out the built-in commenting functionality and replaced it with this instead.

Another popular alternative I see around the net (even though I don't care much for it personally) is the Facebook Comments widget. I know this doesn't directly answer your question but thought I'd mention these in case they're of any help.

P.S., I'm curious what errors exactly you ran into upgrading 4.7.0 to 4.7.1?  I've done this on a few sites and never ran into any problems. (Although I suppose it completely depends on what kind of packages you're using, and if they're all compatible.) Another idea is try to jump from 4.7.0 to 4.7.2 and see if that goes any smoother?

Best of luck!

• Anthony Dang 1404 posts 2558 karma points MVP 3x c-trib
    Aug 24, 2012 @ 12:59
    Anthony Dang

Upgrading from 4.7.0 to 4.7.2 should be very easy.

I'm pretty sure it's just replacing the umbraco files (including dlls).

The reason you're having macro crashes is because there was a breaking change in the macro engines in 4.7.1. I think a property which was previously public was made protected. It would only require a little bit of tweaking for each macro script to use the older. 

If upgrading is definitely not an option, you can still use uBlogsy if you make the script changes. It shouldnt take more than an hour if you know what you're doing. 

Or alternatively, (someone correct me if I'm wrong) you may be able to just add the new macro engines dlls. But I wouldnt recommend this.

DISQUS is also an option. It has many useful features.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft