Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Richard Rees 17 posts 25 karma points
    Jul 15, 2009 @ 02:01
    Richard Rees

Courier License and Domain

Hello,

I have the live site on a domain e.g. www.thedomain.com. When I went to my umbraco profile to download courier for the first time, when first putting in the domain I remember being supplied with some example urls that would work with the license. There was the obvious www.thedomain.com and some pretty weird ones like www.www.thedomain.com, and www.thedomain.com.local.

So when setting up my live and staging environments I thought I'd be safe using subdomains. So the live site is on www.thedomain.com and Ive set up the staging site on staging.thedomain.com. The idea is that the CMS users will access staging.thedomain.com/umbraco and change their content. View the changes on staging.thedomain.com and if they like the look of them, they will use courier to "transfer to live" which will copy the changes across to www.thedomain,com

However, when I go to "transfer to live" the popup tells me there is a license issue and courier cannot be used with the domain staging.thedomain.com, even though it is obviously just a sub domain of the live site. When I checked going from live to staging, the popup loaded in fine (I didnt try it out, but just saw that it seemed to work).

Ive since gone back into my profile and cannot see anywhere where I can view my list of "allowed" urls.

Anyone got any ideas?

Thanks

Rich

• Dirk De Grave 4541 posts 6021 karma points MVP 3x admin c-trib
    Jul 15, 2009 @ 07:55
    Dirk De Grave

Hi Richard,

Contact the guys at umbraco corp directly, as they do not scan every thread for this kind of post.

But as mentioned in another thread, it wouldn't hurt to have a separate section for umbraco Pro products...

Cheers,

/Dirk

• Nico Lubbers 151 posts 175 karma points
    Jul 15, 2009 @ 08:07
    Nico Lubbers

Hi Richard,

There is a way of reviewing on which domain you entered your licence. Goto your profile page umbraco.org/profile be sure you are logged in, and from there choose "Manage your Umbraco Pro licences"

You can download the licence file there (to put in de bin folder on each deployment) and you can also see on which domain you put the licencefile on. I choose a domainname without the www, (domainname.com) but I had the same problem as you and asked Umbraco to review my licence settings (on which I did not have a reply... think because of codegarden business  :-)

I think the following should work.

licence: domainname.com

live: www.domainname.com  or domainname.com

staging: staging.domainname.com

develop: domainname.com.local

Nico

• Richard Rees 17 posts 25 karma points
    Jul 15, 2009 @ 11:12
    Richard Rees

Hi Nico,

Its the staging.domainname.com that doesnt work. When I review my license settings I see the www.domain.com. I am using that for live and staging.domainname.com for staging. However when I try to transfer from staging.domain.com to live, it gives me the license error.

I can't think of a more obvious subdomain to use than staging.domainname.com for a staging server.

In terms of development, I see no point in attempting to use courier for this as it doesnt deal with document types, templates etc. Courier is really only useful from and updating content opint of view, so as far as I can see, courier is great from my client to make changes on staging, reviewing them on staging and then transferring them to live.

However when I create or modify templates or doc types, or make css changes, or new xslt/user controls, the only way I can currently see of doing that is to either package them up (seems a lot of work), or just note down each change I make and then manually do each one first on staging and then on live.

I will contact umbraco support directly about the staging domain license fail.

Cheers guys

Rich

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft