Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Darren 12 posts 32 karma points
    Feb 21, 2012 @ 10:16
    Darren

Connection string is blank?

Hi, I'm in the process of copying an Umbraco site (4.7.1) from one server to a new server.

I have copied the db and restored it into a new server/database (sql express 2008 version).  I have copied the necessary files.

However I ran the umbraco install, and entered the database details in step 3, it failed saying could not establish connection, I then went and looked at the web.config, and it is blank?  How can I point the umbraco install at my new server / database ?, is it embeded somewhere in a dll or something?

Should I re-run the umbraco install, if so how do I do that now, as I cant get to the install pages now?

• Michael Latouche 504 posts 819 karma points MVP 3x c-trib
    Feb 21, 2012 @ 10:36
    Michael Latouche

Hi Darren,

If you are just copying over, normally yiou do not have to re-run the install. Just copy the files over, and then restore the DB into your new DB server. The connectionstring to the DB is located in the web.config file, under the key "umbracoDBDSN" or something similar (don't have currently access to an actual web.config from here).

Just modify the server address and user name-password in there, and everything should be running fine again.

Cheers,

Michael.

PS: for the record, I just moved a site from one of my client yesterday by doing jkust like that.

• Darren 12 posts 32 karma points
    Feb 21, 2012 @ 11:06
    Darren

Thank you, I don't know why I didn't spot the connection string before ! - guess I have been looking at it too long :-)

All up and running now.

thanks again,.

Darren.

• Michael Latouche 504 posts 819 karma points MVP 3x c-trib
    Feb 21, 2012 @ 11:44
    Michael Latouche

You're welcome :-)

Great to hear it works!

Cheers,

Michael.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to: