Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Shwetha Shankar 21 posts 41 karma points
    Feb 01, 2012 @ 18:28
    Shwetha Shankar

Installing Umbraco 5

Hi,

I was wondering if Umbraco 5 could be used with SQL Server 2005. I ask this because the installation instructions on http://umbracoinstance/install only refer to SQL Server 2008 and I cannot find the minimum system requirements for version 5.

Thanks for the help.

Regards,

Shwetha

• Jeroen Breuer 4908 posts 12265 karma points MVP 4x admin c-trib
    Feb 01, 2012 @ 18:31
    Jeroen Breuer

Sorry Umbraco 5 will only work on SQL Server 2008 or SQL CE4 at the moment. You could also try the experimental Examine provider: http://www.screenr.com/rMcs

Jeroen

• Rodion Novoselov 694 posts 859 karma points
    Feb 01, 2012 @ 19:00
    Rodion Novoselov

Quite a surprising thing. I still think it might work. As I understand it doesn't use any database-specific stuff (like stored procs, triggers, etc) and more importent now it works with the database through NHibernate which is well-known for its good cross-database compatibility. Perhaps it still would be worth at least to try it (you will need to find a way to properly set up NHibernate SQL dialect settings, however).

• Robert Hughes 87 posts 110 karma points
    Mar 05, 2012 @ 02:36
    Robert Hughes

By hacking the install controller/javascript/view of the RTM source I was able to force it to install on SQL2005 and while it installs and appears to run ok on intitial inspection the whole thing is a bit dubious. It seems something needs to be done with the use of DateTimeOffset which SQL 2005 does not support and which Umbraco 5 uses extensively.

Would love to get some official word from the Umbraco 5 guys on this. I don't mind doing the work  myself I just want to know what work I need to do?

I understand SQL 2005 is ancient now but for a lot of large enterprises that is where they landed and they won't be budging for a while. SQL Express and Compact DBs is not really a valid alternative if you are wanting a somewhat enterprise-level site.

• Chad Rosenthal 272 posts 474 karma points
    Apr 25, 2012 @ 21:27
    Chad Rosenthal

have you heard anything else in regards to this?

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft