Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Bo Damgaard Mortensen 719 posts 1207 karma points
    Jan 03, 2012 @ 13:54
    Bo Damgaard Mortensen

MSSQL CE File Access Violation

Hi all,

I'm trying to host a small website with a MSSQL CE database, but I'm running into some trouble with a mssql reader exception: File Access Violation when publishing nodes. The error occurs totally random. The website is built with WebMatrix.

Has anyone ever encountered this and found a solution to it? :-)

Thanks in advance.

- Bo

Jan 03, 2012 @ 13:58
    Bo Damgaard Mortensen

The error says: There is a file sharing violation. A different process might be using the file. [..... /Umbraco.sdf]

• Damiaan 442 posts 1301 karma points MVP 6x c-trib
    Jan 03, 2012 @ 14:43
    Damiaan

Hi Bo

Is the file writable by the web server process?

What is your connectionstring?  

Are you trying to open it with some sort of Query analyzer which locks the database exclusively?

Regards

Jan 03, 2012 @ 14:49
    Bo Damgaard Mortensen

Hi Damiaan,

Thanks a lot for your reply! Greatly appreciated!

The appropriate read/write permissions should be alright - I've doublechecked that with my host.

My connectionstring looks like this: <add key="umbracoDbDSN" value="datalayer=SQLCE4Umbraco.SqlCEHelper,SQLCE4Umbraco;data source=|DataDirectory|\Umbraco.sdf" />

About query analyzer, I don't think so, no. It's just weird that it appears totally random. I never experienced the problem on my localhost though.

So, still: any clue will be more than helpful !

Thanks again.

- Bo

• Sebastiaan Janssen 5045 posts 15477 karma points MVP admin hq
    Jan 03, 2012 @ 17:25
    Sebastiaan Janssen

Hmm, how are you republishing? Right-click and republish all + children? Or right-click and republish entire site (/umbraco/dialogs/republish.aspx?xml=true)? in the last case, you MIGHT be running into this bug, but I can't be sure: http://umbraco.codeplex.com/workitem/30650

Jan 03, 2012 @ 21:59
    Bo Damgaard Mortensen

Hi Sebastiaan,

Thanks for your post! :-)

Actually, I am not using either, just hitting the Save/Publish button and it appears randomly. After a app pool restart the node which I clicked disappears from the backend, but still lives in the database/xmlcache.

After one day's struggle I finally tossed the towel and switched to a MySQL database (client don't want to pay for a MSSQL base) and everything is running smoothly now.

Still trying to figure out why it crashed like it did - after all, we should be able to use SQL CE for smaller websolutions, yeah? :-)

- Bo

• Ayo Adesina 430 posts 1023 karma points
    Apr 17, 2012 @ 18:02
    Ayo Adesina

I have exactly the same problem as you....and still have not solved it... it is random...

I would love to know why this is....just put a spport ticket with my hosting provider hopefully they will shed more light....

When I had a dedicated server it was fine...never had this issue, but now I have moved to shared hosting SQL CE is not having a very good time....:-(

I will get there in the end!

• andles 44 posts 64 karma points
    May 21, 2012 @ 08:33
    andles

Adding "File Mode=Read Write" to the connection string should sort it.

• andles 44 posts 64 karma points
    May 21, 2012 @ 08:43
    andles

You may also find that you will see this error if you have the connection open (as a data source) in Visual Studio at the same time your site is trying to access it (locally). VS puts a lock on it...

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft