Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Steve Smith 75 posts 158 karma points
    Sep 06, 2011 @ 17:29
    Steve Smith

Multi-site query on Memberships

Hi all,

Having fun learning Umbraco at the moment.  Have successfully created a few separate websites running on a single instance of Umbraco.

All working fine so far, because the sites are basic content/media.  

For the editors of the sites I've created, I've simply given access to the "Content" and "Media" tabs, starting at the top-level node of their own site - which has worked fine.

However, a site I'm working on at the moment requires a private "members only" area, so I wish to offer the administrator of this site access to the "Members" tab.

It seems that if I open up the "Members" tab, the editor of the site will be able to edit/view all member accounts that have been created across the entire instance of Umbraco.  Just checking to see whether there's a way to support multiple sets of members so each site in a multi-site installation can have its own?

If not, I guess the approach required is to setup a separate instance of Umbraco for this one site?

Thanks in advance,

Steve.

• Dirk De Grave 4541 posts 6021 karma points MVP 3x admin c-trib
    Sep 06, 2011 @ 20:27
    Dirk De Grave

well, basic rule of thumb, if sites are unrelated (as in, for different clients) -> use multiple umbraco instances for each of your clients, and keep client related sites in either a single (if basic) or multiple instances (if large-ish)

with that being said, you could always override the default member section tree display by creating your own tree implementation. If you don't mind getting your hands dirty doing some c# coding, just download the code for umbraco ,check how the member tree is being rendered and build a similar one to replace the default implemenation. (be aware you'll need to change/add some db records as well - umbracoApp and umbracoAppTree tables). 

Another thing to keep in mind is you need to differentiate the member based on the site they're member of. Probably using a custom property on the member type which you can set once a member registers on the site.

And now up to you to decide, go for the easy solution and split up the sites in different umbraco instances or get your hands dirty.

Keep us posted about your progress.

Cheers,

/Dirk

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft