Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Thomas Egebrand Gram 63 posts 138 karma points
    Aug 20, 2011 @ 14:46
    Thomas Egebrand Gram

Server Error on Umbraco login

Greetings everyone!

Been reading quite a few topics now, to no avail. :( Been spending a few days as well trying to figure this problem out, and it seems to be impossibl - but i aint givin up!

I seem to be getting an error when logging into the Umbraco backend. (see below)
    The server itself had recently been using another database for the Umbraco, i've changed that database, exporting from the old one (via phpmyadmin, as it's an MySQL DB); and importing this to the new database, using default settings.
    I've also changed the connection-string in web.config.

The problem truly is weird, as i've moved a few installs before, without problems like this.

Specs:
    - Umbraco 4.7.0
    - Net 4,0
    - I only have access to the FTP and MySQL DB, not IIS

Server Error in '/' Application.

Index was out of range. Must be non-negative and less than the size of 
    the collection.
    Parameter name: index
    Description: 
    An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web 
    request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the error and 
    where it originated in the code. 

Exception Details: System.ArgumentOutOfRangeException: Index was out of range. Must be non-negative and less than the size of the collection.
    Parameter name: index

Source Error:

An unhandled exception was generated during the execution of the current web request. Information regarding the origin and location of the exception can be identified using the exception stack trace below.

Stack Trace:

[ArgumentOutOfRangeException: Index was out of range. Must be non-negative and less than the size of the collection.
    Parameter name: index]
       System.ThrowHelper.ThrowArgumentOutOfRangeException() +72
       umbraco.cms.presentation._umbraco.Page_Load(Object sender, EventArgs e) +1502
       System.Web.Util.CalliHelper.EventArgFunctionCaller(IntPtr fp, Object o, Object t, EventArgs e) +14
       System.Web.Util.CalliEventHandlerDelegateProxy.Callback(Object sender, EventArgs e) +35
       System.Web.UI.Control.OnLoad(EventArgs e) +91
       umbraco.BasePages.BasePage.OnLoad(EventArgs e) +14
       System.Web.UI.Control.LoadRecursive() +74
       System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain(Boolean includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint) +2207

Version Information: Microsoft .NET Framework Version:4.0.30319; ASP.NET 
    Version:4.0.30319.1 

Problem noticed:
    - When importing the database, the ID in UMBRACOUSER seems to change from 0 to 2 on the admin user. I've tried changing this back to 0, the error then disappears - but still i get the shanky red boxes at login, even though the user and password is correct.

The frontend works just fine, so it reads the database, it's just the backend messing with me. :(

Truly hope you can help. Have a nice day!
    - Thomas

• Jan Skovgaard 11280 posts 23678 karma points MVP 10x admin c-trib
    Aug 20, 2011 @ 15:00
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Thomas

Sounds very weird.

First off try contacting the server administrator to ensure that the permissions for the network service and iusr are correct.

If they are then try doing this

1) Go to the database and update the password for the Umbraco user to something like "Default" instead of the hash.

2) Go to the web.config file change the passwordFormat=hashed to passwordFormat=clear both places.

Now try to see if you can login - If everything is working then change the passwordFormat back to hashed.

For more details please see this post from Nico Lubbers.

http://our.umbraco.org/forum/using/ui-questions/4790-ouch-forgot-admin-password-how-to-reset?p=1#comment18539

Hope this helps!

/Jan

Aug 20, 2011 @ 17:07
    Thomas Egebrand Gram

Hello Jan,
    Thanks for the swift reply.

I've talked to the hosting company a couple of days ago, they stated that everything was "just fine", and there were no indications of errors.
    Now the weird part is indeed that if i change the connection-string to the old database, then everything works perfectly, even the backend.

So the permissions must be set correctly if the other database works?
    I have indeed also tried your method before, and now just once again to see if it did anything, but sadly it still gives me the red boxes.
    The case of the userID for the admin user is still weird though isn't it? As on the other MySQL DB the ID is 0.

Here's some of the data for the user:
    ID = 2
    Usertype = 1
    Startstructureid = -1
    Startmediaid = -1
    Username and login = admin

- Thomas

Aug 21, 2011 @ 13:01
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Thomas

Hmm, yes seems like the permissions must be correct.

It's a very weird issue...are you sure there isn't a minor detail or something like that, which has been overlooked? Or could it be that there is differences in the MySQL version or something like that?

I think I'm all out of ideas now unfortunately...

/Jan

Aug 29, 2011 @ 10:53
    Thomas Egebrand Gram

Hello,

Unfortunately the MySQL servers seem to be identical. Strangely enough i've moved a lot of Umbraco installations in the past year, and these errors only started occuring when i began working with 4.7. So perhaps there's some lost string, a cache, or something that needs to be cleaned or updated somewhere?

I've just reproduced the same error on another server, and changing the login didn't work at all.

Looking a bit around i found Umbraco Courier, perhaps i should just use that for future installations, seems like the right way to easy upload an entirirely new developed database. But anyway, let me know if you figure something out, else lets just call this one unresolved for now. :)

Thanks though!
    - Thomas

Aug 30, 2011 @ 21:51
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Thomas

I'll let you know if I by coincidence figure something out. Don't have any clue about it at the moment unfortunately.

But yes, indeed Courier should make your life a lot more easy. Have not had the chance to try it out myself though :)

/Jan

• Andy Davidson 6 posts 56 karma points
    Dec 20, 2011 @ 00:02
    Andy Davidson

Hi Thomas, did you ever solve this problem?

I've just migrated from sql express 2008 to mysql and i'm encountering the same problem, again its on version 4.7

thanks

Andy

Dec 21, 2011 @ 18:12
    Thomas Egebrand Gram

Hello Andy,

Unfortunately not - i ended up having to reconstruct the entire installation by hand. It seems to be impossible just to "move" the installs around without errors occuring.
    I've just purchased Courier though; hoping that will make my life a lot easier with all the movements i do. :-)

Good luck - and merry christmas!

// Thomas

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft