Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Wes 14 posts 35 karma points
    Jan 03, 2011 @ 20:01
    Wes

Help links not working (missing virtual directory name); someplace to set that globally?

I'm making good progress with my new Umbraco installation and trying to get things sorted. But... The help links don't work; they are missing the virtual directory / application name in the URL and result in a 404 error.

Is there someplace to set that globally that I've not seen or heard about yet? No biggie for me for now—I just added it manually in the address bar if I need to read it—but I'd still like to resolve it.

Wes

• Kim Andersen 1447 posts 2196 karma points MVP
    Jan 03, 2011 @ 21:43
    Kim Andersen

Hi Wes!

You mean the "Help"-button i top right corner? Or some other help links?

If ou want to change the help links in the top right corner, you can actually take a look in the umbracoSettings.config-file inside of the /config-folder. In the bottom of the file you'll find this:

<help defaultUrl="http://our.umbraco.org/wiki/umbraco-help/{0}/{1}">

Here you can change the link if you want to, or check if it's has somehow changed to something invalid like you talks about. Doug talked a little about it at the UK Umbraco Festival. You can check out his presentaion here. The part about the help link starts after about 22:50.

/Kim A

• Wes 14 posts 35 karma points
    Jan 03, 2011 @ 22:30
    Wes

Kim,

Well, not exactly.

When I click the Help button, the URL it's trying to load (for example) is:

http://localhost/umbraco/helpRedirect.aspx?Application=content&ApplicationURL=editContent.aspx&Language=en&UserType=Administrators

The setting in the umbracoSettings.config file does not appear to have any effect whatsoever on this.

I'm trying to figure out where to reference the virtual directory that Umbraco is installed in so that this, as well as the media folder, work properly. I've seen references to older versions of Umbraco being unable to work in a virtual directory, but certainly for development, and ideally even for production, I'd rather have it in one.

Wes

• Jill Mitchell 1 post 21 karma points
    Nov 08, 2012 @ 22:13
    Jill Mitchell

I am missing this and my help does not work.

<helpdefaultUrl="http://our.umbraco.org/wiki/umbraco-help/{0}/{1}">

Where in the config do I insert it?

• Jan Skovgaard 11280 posts 23678 karma points MVP 10x admin c-trib
    Nov 08, 2012 @ 22:29
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Jill and welcome to our :)

Do you want to change the default help url to something else? Or what is your task? How this works has not been that well documented but it's actually rather intelliget what can be done.

But if you just want to change the default url you can find it in the config folder in the umbracoSettings.config file - if you're new to Umbraco this is a file you'll want to become familiar with pretty quickly. The path is /config/umbracoSettings.config - Then it's placed somewhere at the button of the file if I remember correctly.

Hope this makes any sense.

/Jan

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft