Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Martijn van der Put 44 posts 65 karma points
    Oct 19, 2010 @ 11:10
    Martijn van der Put

Slow website start on first load / keepalive.aspx

When I browse to my website when it hasn't been viewed for a while, the website takes too much time to be loaded (about 30 seconds or so).

It is just a basic informative website without any heavy modules or programming stuff etc.

I think that it has something to do with the Umbraco "server" is stopped or some cache timeout or something.
    Is there any way to resolve this, so to keep the cache or Umbraco running at all times by doing some automatic polling or modifying a setting in Umbraco?

I also wonder what the use is of the file /umbraco/keepalive.aspx? Is it only used for the Umbraco client or does it also keep the website cache alive and running?

If anyone could clarify these things for me that would be great!

• Rik Helsen 670 posts 873 karma points
    Oct 19, 2010 @ 11:12
    Rik Helsen

Application pools sometimes reset, (configured in IIS), this is this way for any .net website (libraries need to be compiled, this takes time)

The only think you can do is have something ping critical pages of your website after its application pool has been reset..

read up here: http://blogs.iis.net/steveschofield/archive/2009/05/30/application-pool-warm-up.aspx

*link updated*

Oct 19, 2010 @ 11:23
    Martijn van der Put

I'm aware that the app-pool sometimes can be reset because of IIS settings. But when this happens, I guess there is nothing to resolve this.

But I'm wondering if Umbraco has build in some functionality that will "keep alive" the website when the app-pools are not reset, like some other CMS have. SO i'm also wondering what the functionality of the keepalive.aspx file is.

Oct 19, 2010 @ 13:24
    Rik Helsen

Isn't keepalive there just to prevent user sessions from expiring? (like when you are logged in in the backend of umbraco and away from your computer for a while?)

Oct 19, 2010 @ 13:28
    Martijn van der Put

I might be that keepalive is just there to prevent the user session in the Umbraco client from expiring, But I can't find any information about this keepalive function which tells me what this file is for.

Oct 19, 2010 @ 13:31
    Rik Helsen

I'm quite sure that's the only reason it's there, the keepalive function in the backend, has nothing to do with what people call "keepalive" of your applicationpool here:http://stackoverflow.com/questions/2154788/asp-net-umbraco-website-has-initially-very-high-server-response-time

They are 2 different things with 2 different purposes. One is to prevent me from signing out (and loosing unsubmitted data) from the backend, and the other is a mechanism (not built into Umbraco) to refresh the app cool (hit certain pages) after it's been recycled.

• codezilla94 1 post 21 karma points
    Dec 24, 2010 @ 01:12
    codezilla94

This is a known issue with the .Net Framework 1.1, 2.0, 3.0 and 3.5 You have a few options. Upgrade to the 4.0 Framework, preferably with IIS 7 which has the ability to ping your site and deep it alive. If you are not able to upgrade you could also use a ping utility to keep your site "alive". Basically what this does is it hits your site every few minutes so that you do not encounter the 20 min. default timeout period of you application domain. When you application domain times out it is reloaded on the next request, hence the slowness you are experiencing.

http://www.spikesolutions.net/ViewSolution.aspx?ID=c2b7edc0-5de1-4064-a432-05f6eded3b82

Dec 25, 2010 @ 16:08
    Martijn van der Put

My website has been upgraded to the .NET 4.0 platform by my hosting company because they had discoverd the same issues on the .NET 3.5 framework.
    Since the upgrade the slow response time on a first start is gone :)

• Bjørn Fridal 274 posts 784 karma points
    Sep 05, 2012 @ 10:49
    Bjørn Fridal

Hi,

I just wrote a blog post on the subject. http://betafirm.com/how-to-keep-umbraco-awake-and-alive

Cheers
    Bjørn 

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft