Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Simon 24 posts 127 karma points
    Sep 27, 2010 @ 16:08
    Simon

Can't get the permissions right in XP

Hi,

I'm trying to install my first Umbraco site on my dev machine at work.

I have set the folder permissions for NETWORK_SERVICE and ASPNET to full access just to be sure.

I've set up the MS SQL database correctly.  IIS has authentication set to none.  It isn't a virtual website.

When i try to browse to the install page i get:

You are not authorized to view this page

You do not have permission to view this directory or page due to the access control list (ACL) that is configured for this resource on the Web server.

The machine is XP with iis 6.  I can't seem to find any details on setting up Umbraco 4 on xp that mention anything i haven't already done.  Is there some huge glaringly obvious mistake i've made.

Simon

• Simon 24 posts 127 karma points
    Sep 27, 2010 @ 16:53
    Simon

Partially solved this by giving full permissions to everyone.  Now i get the error Unrecognized configuration section system.web.extensions

I checked and AJAX is installed (or at least System.Web.Extensions is in the assembly folder).

• DavidS 17 posts 38 karma points
    Sep 28, 2010 @ 17:45
    DavidS

Hi can you check that you've set your app pool to use version NET 4.0 in IIS?

• Streety 358 posts 568 karma points
    Oct 01, 2010 @ 14:26
    Streety

This is a good point from DavisS.

What version of Umbraco are you using? Is you XP machine part of a domain?

If you are using IIS to ultimately host I have found that my typical way of developing (ie using VS2008  persoanal webserver to test then upload to IIS) doesn't workout. I have found the best way to work "live" on a dev IIS box and then move into production.

In that case you only need to follow the following steps to get it going (on version 4.0.4.2 anyhow). (Note * denotes optional depending on your site setup)

1. In SQL create a DB and create a DB user
    2. In the Login Properties of the the DBUser click User Mapping and selectthe database in the top box. Assign db_datareader, db_datawriter, db_owner privs (public should already be ticked) (note username and password)
    3. on IIS box create Directory to host Umbraco, copy over the Umbraco files from the zip.
    4. Assign security privs on the following directories in the umbraco dir (that you just unzipped)
    5. Assign "NETWORK SERVICE" with full control to
           bin
           config

css
           data
           media
           umbraco
           usercontrols
           xslt
           python
           scripts
    6. Don't forget to do WEB.CONFIG also.
    7. * Create an A record on your local DNS to point to the new umbraco Site
    8. in IIS Admin create site and pint to umbraco directory (step 3)
    9. Go to properties and ASP.net tab set to Ver 2.0.50727, On document tab delete all pages and add Index.aspx and default.aspx
    10. * Go to Web Site tab and Advanced and setup up your host header DNS name from Step 7
    11. Go to your favourite browser and browser to the new website (you just created). The umbraco wizard will appear.
    12. Follow the Steps and insert the SQL database and Username and Password you created in Step 1
    13. Delete the install folder.
    14. Job Done.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft