Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Daniel McAteer 16 posts 136 karma points
    Nov 22, 2017 @ 14:01
    Daniel McAteer

Umbraco Database Layer Wrapper

With the GDPR deadline looming, I've been trying to think up what the best, most flexible way of encrypting sensitive data would be on all websites I manage, many of which are Umbraco-based.

I was thinking that being able to "wrap" the Umbraco database layer with my own custom encryption code would be ideal, so that any time Umbraco saves data to the database, or pulls data from it, my code can run a quick check to see if it needs to be encrypted/decrypted.

I haven't done anything similar in the past, so would appreciate any guidance on:

1) Whether or not this is even possible given the possible method override's etc that I have access to.

2) Which methods I would have to override to achieve something like this.

Any pointers in the right direction would be greatly appreciated.

• John Bergman 483 posts 1132 karma points
    Nov 23, 2017 @ 00:41
    John Bergman

If you are using SQL Server, can you use the encryption including in it?

• Daniel McAteer 16 posts 136 karma points
    Nov 23, 2017 @ 13:44
    Daniel McAteer

I'm currently using SQL Server 2014, so doesn't have the "Always encrypted" feature which as far as I can tell would be what's needed. I'll look into the database side of things more as well, but I think having the knowledge to control things through the application logic would be hugely beneficial in case it turns out to be a better solution for some sites.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft