Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• GabeLeRoy 13 posts 83 karma points
    Aug 22, 2017 @ 18:55
    GabeLeRoy

Custom File System configuration for multiple website to use a same folder.

So, I have a pretty weird request. I currently am working on a website which had a media folder of 35GB (Yeah that's a lot of pictures and video).

The File System Provider used to be connected to a Microsoft Azure Account with a Blob Container called Media. Anyway, we were asked to download all of it's content because the client didn't want to use Azure anymore.

So I downloaded all of the Azure Blob (35 GB of pictures and video) and I transferred them locally inside the website at wwwroot/Media ...

Now here is the problem, we have multiple version of the Website running on that server. The Prod, Dev and Staging version. The only problem is that we need to give the client an FTP connection so that he can clean the Media folder.

Here is my question : Would it be possible to have all version of the Website to be using the same media folder but to have it located at the C:/Media instead of inside the wwwroot of each websites.

This would save us about 70 GB of hard drive which is quite a lot and it would save us a lot of time when debugging.

I saw this page https://our.umbraco.org/documentation/extending/custom-file-systems and tried to change the Config using the documentation but it didn't work.

Here is my actual File System Provider configuration.

<?xml version="1.0"?>
    <FileSystemProviders>

<Provider alias="media" type="Umbraco.Core.IO.PhysicalFileSystem, Umbraco.Core">
        <Parameters>
          <add key="virtualRoot" value="~/media"/>
        </Parameters>
      </Provider>

</FileSystemProviders>

So finally, does anybody how I should change that config so that all the Website version uses the same folder at C:/Media instead of using their wwwroot ones ?

I'm asking this question cause I know it's quite impossible to change anything in the database since Umbraco uses encrypted node and because it would be so long to change them manually ... the folder contain about 18,000 Pictures/Videos.

Thank you very much.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft