Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Pedro Mendes 53 posts 258 karma points
    May 31, 2017 @ 15:15
    Pedro Mendes

Custom Property Value Truncating on Save

Hey there,

I'm having an issue with a custom property I'm creating. Whenever I hit "save & publish", I get the following error: enter image description here

The data I'm submitting is this:

{"id":12793,"properties":[{"id":338758,"alias":"title","value":"<p>teste</p>"},{"id":338759,"alias":"formType","value":{"dealerData":[{"b":"Audi","d":[{"id":4176,"n":"Sportagus - Almada"},{"id":4176,"n":"Sportagus - Almada"},{"id":4130,"n":"Sportejo - Santarém"},{"id":4176,"n":"Sportagus - Almada"},{"id":4176,"n":"Sportagus - Almada"},{"id":4130,"n":"Sportejo - Santarém"}]}],"formType":"Campaign"}},{"id":338756,"alias":"to","value":""},{"id":338757,"alias":"cc","value":""},{"id":338755,"alias":"bcc","value":""},{"id":338754,"alias":"backgroundImage","value":""},{"id":338746,"alias":"luFontColor","value":""},{"id":338751,"alias":"luFontColorSpecial","value":""},{"id":338745,"alias":"luBackgroundColor","value":""},{"id":338750,"alias":"luFontColorInsideProp","value":""},{"id":338748,"alias":"luButtonBackgroundColor","value":""},{"id":338749,"alias":"luButtonHoverColor","value":""},{"id":338747,"alias":"luButtonTextColor","value":""},{"id":338752,"alias":"marginTop","value":""},{"id":338753,"alias":"marginBottom","value":""}],"name":"teste","contentTypeAlias":"closeUpForm","parentId":9001,"action":"publish","expireDate":null,"releaseDate":null,"templateAlias":""}

The data from the custom controller is this:

{"dealerData":[{"b":"Audi","d":[{"id":4176,"n":"Sportagus - Almada"},{"id":4176,"n":"Sportagus - Almada"},{"id":4130,"n":"Sportejo - Santarém"},{"id":4176,"n":"Sportagus - Almada"},{"id":4176,"n":"Sportagus - Almada"},{"id":4130,"n":"Sportejo - Santarém"}]}],"formType":"Campaign"}

In my package.manifest, I tried setting valueType:to "JSON" and "TEXT" but it did nothing...

Has anyone ever walked into something like this or similar? I'm kinda lost here.. :\

Thanks, Pedro

edit: added the data relative to the custom controller

• Pedro Mendes 53 posts 258 karma points
    May 31, 2017 @ 20:52
    Pedro Mendes

Weeeeeellll...

Apparently your modifications in the package.manifest work with a simple restart in the app pool, unless you try to change the valueType... The valueType remains the same even if you change it.. I'm working on Umbraco v7.3 and I can't be sure this is fixed in the following versions.

Anyhow, a "simple" fix is to manually update your cmsDataType table's dbType column from your old value to the new one (I updated from Nvarchar to Ntext).

• ThomasHerckenrath 5 posts 25 karma points
    Jan 14, 2021 @ 10:55
    ThomasHerckenrath

This was working for me, but unfortunatly it did not work in all cases. In my case I have a label on a page, filled with links to pages where the item is linked to. Before applying your provided fix, I was able to have +/- 10 links in the list before it was truncated. I changed nvarchar to ntext in the CmsDataType table, and it started working again. Now I'm getting the same error, but for +/- 20 links. Am I hitting the limits? I would expect ntext to be big enough to store about 1000 characters, so what am I doing wrong?

note: I am using Umbraco 8.3, the problem still persists here.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft