Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• ali 39 posts 121 karma points
    Oct 18, 2017 @ 18:01
    ali

umbraco for developing business applications

Hi everyone i wonder if somebody use umbraco for developing business applications and if that is ok or not ?

• Alex Skrypnyk 6132 posts 23951 karma points MVP 7x admin c-trib
    Oct 18, 2017 @ 20:04
    Alex Skrypnyk

Hi Ali

Of course, Umbraco is good for business applications, what kind of application do you want?

Thanks,

Alex

Oct 19, 2017 @ 02:30
    ali

Hi Alex thanks for responding . I am thinking of building an employee management system and others small applications .Do you think on long term and big data umbraco can handles it ? . because I I use umbraco for almost 2 years now and I consider myself as a beginner

• Alex Skrypnyk 6132 posts 23951 karma points MVP 7x admin c-trib
    Oct 19, 2017 @ 10:32
    Alex Skrypnyk

Hi Ali

Yes, Umbraco can handle big data, Umbraco limits are pretty far. How many entities do you want to store in Umbraco?

Oct 19, 2017 @ 17:37
    ali

actually until now i did not analysis the software i just got the ideas from the customer. have you ever done something similar to what i am about to do and how is is works ?

• Francielle 65 posts 279 karma points
    Oct 20, 2017 @ 11:33
    Francielle

Hi Ali,

I wrote a post about this a few days ago: http://www.codehb.com/content-hub/umbraco-as-a-backend-system/

We have used Umbraco for a few different business applications, and not just for websites.

We did face a few problems:

• Using Umbraco 6.2, at some point there were a lot of nodes and things started getting really slow, so we had to add these items in a separate table in the database and not as a node.
    • One of our clients used Umbraco 6 to host their website and base of clients. They registered each client as a member (there were over 200k members), and Umbraco does not perform well with it.

You can definitely use Umbraco for your business solutions, but you might considering using other structure together with umbraco (database tables, JSON, etc), it all depends on your data structure.

Here's a nice article for you to check if Umbraco is made for what you want: https://our.umbraco.org/documentation/reference/Common-Pitfalls/ This bit is important:

"Using Umbraco content items for volatile data This is one of the worst Umbraco anti-patterns and could very well cause your site to perform ultra poorly.

Umbraco's content should not be used for volatile data, Umbraco's APIs and the way Umbraco's data is persisted was never designed for this. If you need to store/write/track data that changes a lot you should use a custom database table or another service but not Umbraco content nodes.

Some examples of what not to do are:

Hit counters to track the number of times your page has been viewed - use something like Google Analytics for this or a custom database table Creating new nodes for form submissions - this should be stored in a custom database table Importing lots of data into Umbraco content nodes that could easily just be stored in a custom database table (i.e. it's not going to be edited). In some cases this might be ok but many times we've seen bulk imports occur on a hourly/daily schedule which is generally unecessary."

Oct 20, 2017 @ 20:32
    ali

Hi Francielle thanks for responding . I had read in your post you talked about the older version of umbraco have you used the new version and tried the new list view? Do recomend umbraco if i am building my sections and store my data in my table ? thanks for your time .

• Francielle 65 posts 279 karma points
    Oct 22, 2017 @ 11:47
    Francielle

Hi Ali,

No, I haven't used ListView to display data from our database, just for nodes inside of the CMS. When we do that, we usually create a regular html page and add a tab inside Umbraco to access it.

• Biagio Paruolo 1594 posts 1825 karma points c-trib
    Oct 22, 2017 @ 18:17
    Biagio Paruolo

I already have 3 buss big applications.

Oct 28, 2017 @ 02:13
    ali

Thanks to all of you I will try it.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft