Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Kim Hansen 63 posts 144 karma points
    Jan 22, 2012 @ 01:41
    Kim Hansen

Select nodes between two dates

Hi guys

I need some help from you to make a xslt statement.

I need to loop through a tree containing news items, and i want to get the news items between two create dates.

Can anybody please help me with that?

<xsl:call-template name="search">
      <xsl:with-param name="items" select="$newsList/descendant::*[xxxxxxxxxxxxxx]"/>
    </xsl:call-template>

Thanks

Kim

• Chriztian Steinmeier 2798 posts 8788 karma points MVP 7x admin c-trib
    Jan 22, 2012 @ 02:15
    Chriztian Steinmeier

Hi Kim,

Because everything's effectively a string in XSLT, you'll need to use some of the Date* -extensions from umbraco.library, e.g.:

<xsl:call-template name="search">
      <xsl:with-param name="items" select="$newsList//*[umbraco.library:DateGreaterThanOrEqualToday(@createDate)]"/>
    </xsl:call-template>

Check them out, there's quite a few, so there's probably one you can use.

/Chriztian

• Rodion Novoselov 694 posts 859 karma points
    Jan 22, 2012 @ 16:46
    Rodion Novoselov

AFAIK, actually Umbraco stores all dates inside XML in sortable date format, so you don't have to bother about date-string conversion for comparing.

Jan 22, 2012 @ 20:06
    Chriztian Steinmeier

@Rodion: They're sortable yes, but unfortunately in XSLT 1.0, you can't compare them to see if a date is between two values. The < and > operators are simply not defined for strings...

/Chriztian

Jan 22, 2012 @ 20:12
    Kim Hansen

Hi

Maybe i didnt explain it right.

Ive got a news search page, where i have two date selector fields, on my result page, i want the news items that is between these two dates.

As far as i know, i cant use DateGreaterThanOrEqualToday(@createDate) as it gives me a true/false on a given date.

What i need is something like @createDate > $inputDateStart and @createDate < $inputDateEnd

Thanks

Kim

Jan 22, 2012 @ 20:23
    Chriztian Steinmeier

Hi Kim,

You should be able to do that in a single XPath selection:

<xsl:variable name="newsItems" select="$newsList//*[umbraco.library:DateGreaterThan(@createDate, $inputDateStart) and umbraco.library:DateGreaterThan($inputDateEnd, @createDate)]" />

/Chriztian

Jan 22, 2012 @ 20:58
    Kim Hansen

Thanks, but im getting an error.

String was not recognized as a valid DateTime.

<xsl:variablename="inputDateStart">2010-11-21T01:00:00</xsl:variable>

<xsl:variablename="inputDateEnd">2012-11-21T01:00:00</xsl:variable>

<xsl:copy-ofselect="$newsList//*[umbraco.library:DateGreaterThan(@createDate, $inputDateStart) and umbraco.library:DateGreaterThan($inputDateEnd, @createDate)]" />

Jan 22, 2012 @ 21:07
    Chriztian Steinmeier

Hi Kim,

My bad - we need to slap the @isDoc filter on there first, to make sure it's not trying to find @createDate on the various property nodes;

<xsl:variable name="newsItems" select="$newsList//*[@isDoc][umbraco.library:DateGreaterThan(@createDate, $inputDateStart) and umbraco.library:DateGreaterThan($inputDateEnd, @createDate)]" />

/Chriztian

Jan 22, 2012 @ 21:26
    Kim Hansen

It works perfectly with a few tweaks for my nodetree.

Thank you so much :)

$newsList//NewsItem[@isDoc][umbraco.library:DateGreaterThan(@createDate, $inputDateStart) and umbraco.library:DateGreaterThan($inputDateEnd, @createDate)]

Jan 22, 2012 @ 21:35
    Chriztian Steinmeier

Cool Kim,

Just want to clarify that using the alias of the Document Type ("NewsItem" in this case), you actually don't need the @isDoc filter any longer, because they do the same thing in this context - but using the alias is the best solution and will have the processor looking through the least amount of nodes for matches.

/Chriztian

• Rodion Novoselov 694 posts 859 karma points
    Jan 22, 2012 @ 21:45
    Rodion Novoselov

Uhmm... My fault. I looked into the spec and understood that I said complete baloney. In fact XPath doesn't know anything about datetimes and treats them as strings, meanwile relatoinal expressions besides "=" and "!=" aren't defined for strings at all (the latter is the very one that I was not aware of).

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft