Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• halo224 13 posts 33 karma points
    Jan 26, 2011 @ 10:04
    halo224

Select statement through function

Hi,
    I don't know if is it possible but I need something similar: pass to a variable its select value through a function of my custom library that returns the query (really complex based on many macro parameters) to execute and get every node.

<xsl:variable name="nodes" select="custom.library:selectStatement()" />

<xsl:for-each select="$nodes">
    </xsl:for-each>

Really thanks

• Kim Andersen 1447 posts 2196 karma points MVP
    Jan 26, 2011 @ 10:12
    Kim Andersen

Hi

Could you give us a little more details on what seems to be your problem? Are you having trouble iterating through some XML returned by your custom extension or?

And what does the $nodes contain?

/Kim A

Jan 26, 2011 @ 10:22
    halo224

Hi Kim,

my problem is that i have many macro parameters that change the query used to display nodes through a for-each loop.

Public Shared Function selectStatement(xxx as string, yyy as string, zzz as string) As String
    'combine all conditions passed to append to the final query
    '...
    Return "umbraco.library:GetXmlNodeById($nodeId)/News [umbraco.library:DateGreaterThanOrEqual(archiveDate, $currentDate)][@isDoc and string(umbracoNaviHide) != '1'][string(highlighted) = '1']"
    End Function

Error parsing XSLT file: \xslt\NewsList.xsl

This is just an example but i need to verify all variables passed to selecStatement function and build the final query to return to the $nodes variable.

There are a lot of combinations and let do the job to a .net function i think is more easy to do (instead of insert multiple choose or if)

Many thanks for your help

• Sjors Pals 617 posts 270 karma points
    Jan 26, 2011 @ 11:30
    Sjors Pals

Not sure or this is what you want, but i use something like this:

public static XPathNodeIterator GetMostViewed(string parentId)
            {
                DataSet ds = getDataSetFromSql(ConfigurationSettings.AppSettings["BussinessConnection"], "GetMostViewed " + parentId, "doc");
                XmlDataDocument dataDoc = new XmlDataDocument(ds);
                return dataDoc.CreateNavigator().Select(".");
            }

In XSLT:

<xsl:variable name="items" select="MyHelperLib:GetMostViewed($parentid)"/>

Jan 26, 2011 @ 11:55
    halo224

Yes, this is the way i'm looking for. But I need your help again.

Public Shared Function selectStatement(ByVal nodeId As String) As XPathNodeIterator
    'just for test
    Return umbraco.library.GetXmlNodeById(nodeId)
    End Function

<xsl:variable name="nodeId" select="/macro/contentNode" />
    <xsl:variable name="nodes" select="custom.library:selectStatement($nodeId)" />

<xsl:for-each select="$nodes">
    </xsl:for-each>

But nothing happend; no errors, no results.

And again, How "translate" umbraco.library:GetXmlNodeById($nodeId)/News [umbraco.library:DateGreaterThanOrEqual(archiveDate, $currentDate)][@isDoc and string(umbracoNaviHide) != '1'][string(highlighted) = '1'] for selectStatement function?

Really really thanks to all!

Jan 26, 2011 @ 12:40
    Sjors Pals

A good test is to debug it with: <xsl-copy-of select"$nodes"/> and see what it contains.

Jan 26, 2011 @ 13:01
    halo224

ok, test done, $nodes contains all nodes given by GetXmlNodeById(nodeId) with properties and all.
    I tried to change the select attribute of for-each loop in this way <xsl:for-each select="msxml:node-set($nodes)"> but nothing happen...

Jan 26, 2011 @ 13:46
    Sjors Pals

ok, now you have to find the element which you want to repeat, you will have to do something like this;

xsl:for-each select="$nodes/docs/doc">

Where docs is the toplevel node, and doc the nodes which are repeating.

Jan 26, 2011 @ 14:11
    halo224

Sjors, really really thanks!!! Now I see the results.

Now the last question, if you are so patient to resolve it:

I'm trying with no success:

Dim xpn As XPathNodeIterator =

umbraco.library.GetXmlNodeById(nodeId).Current.CreateNavigator().Select("//News [umbraco.library:DateGreaterThanOrEqual(archiveDate, $currentDate)][@isDoc and string(umbracoNaviHide) != '1'][string(highlighted) = '1']")

seems that [umbraco.library:DateGreaterThanOrEqual(archiveDate, $currentDate)] is not possible because if i remove it from expression all works fine.. how can I insert this condition too?

Jan 27, 2011 @ 09:14
    halo224

I found this article (thanks Lee):
    http://www.blogfodder.co.uk/2009/12/22/building-a-dynamic-xpath-statement-in-xslt
    and I totally changed my approch, now all works fine (better than before) but the problem related to the dates is the same:

<xsl:variable name="searchString">
            @isDoc and string(umbracoNaviHide) != '1'
            <xsl:if test="string($showOnlyHighlighted) = '1'">
                and string(highlighted) = '1'
            </xsl:if>
            and archiveDate &gt;= '<xsl:value-of select="$currentDate"/>'
        </xsl:variable>

now, how verify or use umbraco.library.DateGreaterThanOrEqual(archiveDate, $currentDate) ? the code above doesn't give me errors but nodes are not displayed, while DateGreaterThanOrEqual is not possible to use (well, I'm not able to use it inside the variable $searchString)...

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft