Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Jedd France 29 posts 140 karma points
    Apr 03, 2015 @ 17:26
    Jedd France

Separate Newest Article From The Rest?

Hello everyone,

I am adding a news section to my website using Razor, which filters through the news articles i've created in umbraco and displays them. This is the code that I have just now (which works fine)

@using umbraco.MacroEngines;
    @inherits umbraco.MacroEngines.DynamicNodeContext
    @{
        DynamicNode currentPage = Model;
    }

@foreach (DynamicNode newsArticle in currentPage.Descendants("NewsArticle"))
    {

@(newsArticle.GetPropertyValue("Name"))

@(DateTime.Parse(newsArticle.GetPropertyValue("articleDate")).ToString("MMM"))

'@(DateTime.Parse(newsArticle.GetPropertyValue("articleDate")).ToString("yy"))

@Html.Raw(newsArticle.GetPropertyValue("bodyText"))

}

What I want to do is be able to separate the newest article from the rest so I can style it differently. The rest of the news articles will have the same styling. I'm not sure if I would need to use the createdate or the articleDate property I have on the doctype to do this. Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

Jedd

• Jan Skovgaard 11280 posts 23678 karma points MVP 10x admin c-trib
    Apr 03, 2015 @ 17:54
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Jedd

I think that should be possible if you order your news items by either the articleDate or the createdDate - But I guess that the article data would make the most sense to use?

So something like

@using umbraco.MacroEngines
    @inherits umbraco.MacroEngines.DynamicNodeContex

@{
    DynamicNode currentPage = Model;
    Int i = 0;
    }

@foreach (DynamicNode newsArticle in currentPage.Descendants("NewsArticle").OrderBy("x.articleDate")){
          <div class="newsContent @(i == 0 ? "latestNews" : "")">
              <h3>@(newsArticle.GetPropertyValue("Name"))</h3>
              <div class="articleDate">
                 @(DateTime.Parse(newsArticle.GetPropertyValue("articleDate")).ToString("MMM"))
                  <span>'@(DateTime.Parse(newsArticle.GetPropertyValue("articleDate")).ToString("yy"))</span>
              </div>
              @Html.Raw(newsArticle.GetPropertyValue("bodyText"))
         </div>
        i++;
    }

In this example I'm decklaring an integer (i) and assigning the value 0 to it and then in the foreach loop I'm checking if the value of "i" is 0 using a ternary operator. If the expression is true the "latestNews" class is added otherwise nothing is added.

In the foearch expression I have add the "OrderBy("articleDate")" - This should order the news items using the article date.

I hope this makes sense and helps - And you might be able to benefit from having a look at this Razor cheatsheet https://our.umbraco.org/projects/developer-tools/umbraco-v6-mvc-razor-cheatsheets

Hope this helps.

/Jan

• Jedd France 29 posts 140 karma points
    Apr 08, 2015 @ 18:00
    Jedd France

Hi Jan,

Thank you for your response. I tried implementing your theory but it showed a few errors.

Not to worry though, I managed to achieve what I wanted by using the structure of my articles in Umbraco.

Thanks again!

Jedd

• Jan Skovgaard 11280 posts 23678 karma points MVP 10x admin c-trib
    Apr 08, 2015 @ 22:13
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Jedd

Good to hear you managed to find a way - Do you mind sharing the code? Others might benefit from this as well :)

Cheers, Jan

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft