Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Joao 53 posts 172 karma points
    Oct 09, 2013 @ 12:00
    Joao

Looking for Guidance: email notifications

Hello!

I am looking to create a simple functionality for the website i'm developing. This is the scenario:  visitor that wishes to recieve email updates of blog posts, inserts email into a textbox and then presses a button. When new posts are published subscribers recieve emails. Sounds simple enough but I never done anything like this so I am a bit lost.

I have researched about it and I have found a few packages (Contour for example) that should provide this service but they are way to elaborate for what I want.

I have also learned that I will have to use the event handlers Umbraco has in order to do an action when the blog post is published. I will also need to create a form that the user will write the email and then validate it before saving it somewhere. There should also be the possibility to unsubscribe.

I would like to use Razor if possible since it has been what I have utilized and I'm better versed in it then with xslt.

Could anyone point me into some good examples for creating forms, saving user data and then using said data with events?

Thank you

• Jeavon Leopold 3072 posts 13628 karma points MVP 10x admin c-trib
    Oct 10, 2013 @ 22:14
    Jeavon Leopold

Hi Joao,

There is some documentation on using MVC forms here. For a full tutorial I would recommend the Surface Controller chapter on Umbraco.tv

There is also a contact form example where the data captured is saved to a custom db table within the MVC Hybrid framework project that you could look at.

You are right in that once you have the data of subscribers, you can then use an event to email alerts. You can find documentation about events here

Hope that's helpful?

Jeavon

• Joao 53 posts 172 karma points
    Oct 11, 2013 @ 14:27
    Joao

Yes, thank you! :)

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft