Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Nigel Wilson 944 posts 2076 karma points
    May 21, 2010 @ 20:09
    Nigel Wilson

Add Custom Fields To Media Nodes

Hi there

I have a site that has an extensive number of image galleries.

I have added a mass media upload package to the site so that simplifies the uploading of images. I have also written an XSLT that looks at a media folder and outputs all images within the folder to a lightbox image gallery. This uses the ImageGen package to dynamically create the thumbnail.

Overall this works very well, however when clicking through the image galleries my client would like the ability to have a description with each image - this would be optional and my XSLT would check for and display.

Due to the bulk upload / folder reader there is no real opportunity to insert descriptions as part of the process - at no time are you "touching" the individual images.

So my thought was adding a description field to the images in the media folder and then my client can click through them and if desired / required add a description.

Does anyone know if Media items can be exdtended in such a way ?

Thanks

Nigel

• Tommy Poulsen 514 posts 708 karma points
    May 21, 2010 @ 20:24
    Tommy Poulsen

Hi Nigel, in the member section you'll find the Media Types node in the left panel tree. Here you can modify existing media types, as well as add new types. You can add additional properties to the media types, so that would allow your users to manually add descriptions afterwards.

>Tommy

• bob baty-barr 1180 posts 1294 karma points MVP
    May 21, 2010 @ 22:01
    bob baty-barr

i think Tommy meant in the Settings Section :)

• Tommy Poulsen 514 posts 708 karma points
    May 21, 2010 @ 22:04
    Tommy Poulsen

I think Bob is right ;-)

• Nigel Wilson 944 posts 2076 karma points
    May 22, 2010 @ 04:46
    Nigel Wilson

Brilliant - I had looked through the Developer section but found nothing - it never occurred to look through the Settings section.

My client will be a very very happy person.

Thanks Tommy / Bob for your input - an obvious solution within a fantastic product.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft